Author Topic: Asket, Oxfordshire  (Read 5595 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Asket, Oxfordshire
« on: Thursday 21 December 06 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hoping that someone can help me out.
My 4G grandmother, Mary Crutch/Crouch, was born c 1788 in Asket, Oxfordshire, according to 1851 and 1861 census, living in Chearsley, Buckinghamshire and Upper Winchendon, Bucks respectively
In 1841 census she was living in Chearsley, Bucks, born in Bucks.

I can find no Asket in Oxfordshire, but there is an Askett in Bucks, not far from Monks Risborough.
Was this Askett ever in Oxfordshire? Is there another Asket?
Margaret

Merry Christmas to all Rootschatters
 :o :o
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Asket, Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 December 06 17:32 GMT (UK) »
The only similar-sounding parish in Oxfordshire is Ascott (under Wychwood), but this is on the west side of the county and a long way from Bucks.

I also checked the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837), but there are no male CROUCH/CRUTCH marriages taking place in Ascott.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 December 06 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Pennie, Thank you for your reply.
Mary Crutch/Crouch was never married that I know of, so I am not expecting a marriage for her to a male Crutch/Crouch.
I can't help thinking that it was possibly Askett, Bucks that she was born in, but why would her birth county be given as Oxfordshire??
1841 and 1851 living alone, likely to have given details herself.  In 1861 details may have been given by her daughter (my 3G grandmother), or her son-in-law, which is a possible reason for the change in her marital status!

Mary Crutch, F, 55, Ag Lab, Y
Address Chearsley, Bucks
HO107/38/8 Folio 6 p20

Mary Crutch, Head, Unm, F, 65, Cooper, Oxon, Asket
Address Chearsley
HO 107/1721 Folio 82 p2

James Piddington, Head, Mar, M, 48, Ag lab, Bucks, Cuddington
Mary Piddington, Wife, Mar, F, 45, Lace Maker, Bucks, Chearsley
Mary Cruch, Mother-in-law, Widow, F, 73, Oxon, Asket
Address Water House, Upper Winchendon,
RG 9/864 Folio 71 p 3

Margaret

:)      :)     :)     :)     :)     :)
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 December 06 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, but could this be a mistranscription?

There is Lower and Upper ARNCOTT - I think (but not entirely sure) that it used to be just plain Arncott and is part of the Ambrosden parish.

The thing is - it's in Oxfordshire but literally just over the county border with Bucks - and, looking at the map, only about 10 miles north east of Chearsley.

What do you think?  :-\

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 December 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
On the IGI, there's the baptism of

Mary Crutch 9 Oct 1791 in Chesterton, Oxfordshire daughter of Martin and Elizabeth.

This is only a couple of miles from Ambrosden and could fit the bill.   :-\

Perhaps she moved from Oxfordshire when still very young and had only a vague recollection where she was born?

Martin isn't a name I've come across much at this time. Is it a name that features at all with later generations of this family?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely? (wouldn't be the first time!!)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 December 06 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Jill, Thank you for your suggestions.
I have looked again at the images, both 1851 and 1861 fairly clear to read as Oxon, Asket (makes a change for an easy to read census !!).
She may indeed have a hazy recollection of where she was born, but I am a little puzzled by 1841 census, when she says she was born in Buckinghamshire, followed by 2 Oxon, Asket entries in '51 and '61!!
No Martin's in the tree, but as far as I have found at present, Mary had only one daughter and 2 grandchildren - George Crouch, my 2G grandfather and Susannah Piddington, his half-sister.
Oh well, it may be something which I will never find out for sure, but the IGI entry is interesting, I hadn't seen it before- I will pigeon hole it for future reference.

Margaret ;)    :)     ;D    8)    ::)   

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 June 15 15:01 BST (UK) »
If you're still looking for Ascott,

Vision of Britain says it is a hamlet in the parish of Great Milton. Must be so small, I can't find it on Google maps.

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9136

There is a current thread on Crouch / Crutch, Cruch family in this area, maybe you're related

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=723126.9
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 June 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
Margaret -
Hoping that someone can help me out.
My 4G grandmother, Mary Crutch/Crouch, was born c 1788 in Asket, Oxfordshire, according to 1851 and 1861 census, living in Chearsley, Buckinghamshire and Upper Winchendon, Bucks respectively
In 1841 census she was living in Chearsley, Bucks, born in Bucks.

I can find no Asket in Oxfordshire, but there is an Askett in Bucks, not far from Monks Risborough.
Was this Askett ever in Oxfordshire? Is there another Asket?

Always good to consider the family history society of the area :-)

I see LizzieL has come up with the answer, but worth telling you that the Oxfordshire Family History Society www.ofhs.org.uk publishes a book - which it gives free to new members - giving all the county placenames - parishes, hamlets, etc.  It's called "Oxfordshire Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts", by Colin Harris.

The entry of interest is:

Ascott (hamlet) - see Gt. Milton, Little M.
after 1844, and Stadhampton after 1932

Oxfordshire FHS has a parish map of Oxfordshire at http://www.ofhs.org.uk/web/ofhs.html

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk
www.ofhs.org.uk

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Think Lizzie is right you are likely to be related to the Crutch family on the current thread.  She has found your 3G grandmother's father to be Jonah Rose, and she had other children …

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne