Author Topic: Church Of Ire. vs. R.C. and Ch. of Eng.  (Read 4482 times)

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
Church Of Ire. vs. R.C. and Ch. of Eng.
« on: Wednesday 17 November 04 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I have always thought my family was Rom. Cath. as one dau. was (m) as such and the mother (bur) as such.  I now wonder if they were of the Ch. of Ire.?  Are the 2 relig. somewhat alike?  I have no idea what the Ch. of Ire. is all about.  Also I found  either the father or son  (they have same name) attending a bapt. in Canada at a Ch. of Eng..  I know all about the Rom. Cath. church as I am one but could someone explain the other 2 .  Would an Irishman belong to the Ch. of Eng. if he was (b) in free Ire. ca. 1800? Or was Ire. still all ruled by Eng. in 1800?   As u can see I know little about the history of Ire..   The family left Ire. during potato famine and family says from Co. Cork.  If I could get a hold on their relig. it might help in finding them.              Thanks a lot.    Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church Of Ire. vs. R.C. and Ch. of Eng.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leagen,

The Church of Ireland is a 'province of the Anglican communion' in Ireland so not Roman Catholic.  The Church of Ireland was the official church in Ireland until 1869.  It is their registers which were destroyed in fire of 1922.  Some still survive and are in the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin.  Roman Catholic registers mostly remained with their parish church.

On the history question, Ireland did not gain independence from Britain until the 20th century, so in 1800 it was still very much ruled by Britain.  An Irishman might belong to either church in the 19th century, but also he could have been Presbyterian, Quaker or Methodist.  Given that you believe the origins of the family to be in County Cork, then I would say there was a fair chance of their being Catholic, especially since they left during the potato famine.  That implies that they were the land workers, not the owners, who would more likely have been Anglican in religion.

I'm sure someone else can add more to the topic.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Nell, thank you.  It seems that if they were Cath. then the records pertaining to Them may still be out there waiting for me to find if only I can discover Where in Co. Cork they were from.  I was under the impression all records of all types were lost in the fire.  Glad to know R.C. records weren't.   I really do feel they were R.C. or why would mother be (bur) as such?  Haven't found father in church records but sending for his certs. so they may show something.     Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 04 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

About 10% of the Irish population were Anglican aka Church of Ireland. And although a lot of the Anglican parish records were destroyed in the 1922 fire, something of the order of 50% survive as they were either under local custody and not in the records office or transcribed or saved from the fire.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 December 04 10:10 GMT (UK) »
http://www.foundmark.com/Ireland/Cork-Kerry/Cork/Chomepage.html  will give some information about modern Cork

while

http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/county/cork.html

gives some of the history including information about the various Church influences

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 04 20:19 GMT (UK) »
http://members.cox.net/hayes1966/index.htm

is another site which has quite a bit of information and links about Cork