Author Topic: Jasper Whyte emigrant lookup request  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Morisco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jasper Whyte emigrant lookup request
« on: Saturday 23 December 06 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to link a Jasper Whyte of Grey County Ontario (b abt 1834 in Scotland) with my Jasper Whyte (b abt 1832 in Angus).  Jasper appears in the 1841 and 1851 census in Scotland.

I can find the Canadian reference in 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901.

The 1901 census return indicated an emigration date of 1858.

Another search gives me a reference to an emigration in 1860 to Ontario.
 In WHYTE, DONALD. A Dictionary Of Scottis Emigrants To Canada Before Confederation. Vol. 3. Toronto: The Ontario Genealogical Society, 2002.
Page:    110

Does anyone have this volume and could check the entry for me or any other cources that might be helpful.

Morisco

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Jasper Whyte emigrant lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 January 07 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Death Registration for:

Jasper Whyte
Date of Death:  October 8, 1909
Date of Birth:  October 9, 1833, Scotland
Place of Death:  Egremont, Lot 4, Conc. 13
Farmer
Widower
Name of Father:  David Whyte
Birthplace of Father:  Scotland
Maiden Name of Mother: -
Birthplace of Mother:  Scotland
Cause of Death:  Senile Weakness, 9 months & Heart Failure

Division of Egremont, County of Grey

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 02:51 GMT (UK) »
There are 4 volumes at my main library, but when I go online to get one sent to my branch it won't let me do it, nor put one aside, although it says there are some requests already on them...( volume 3 is the one alreadyr equested)
 :D ::)
I'll call my branch and see what's up...I can  do the main branch, also, but it's downtown and I don't make that trip unless I have lots of other things to do there... I'll let you know....maybe someone will find something in the meantime...  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 04:57 GMT (UK) »
This is not your Jasper Whyte, but possibly a decendent. Maybe the person who posted this, will have more information to work with.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=mam&id=I20119

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 06:16 GMT (UK) »
I found only one birth in Scotland for a Jasper Whyte in the years 1553 - 1854. So the Jasper Whyte that Karen found looks to be yours. (just the year of birth is different, but the dates match up.) This is quite common. I checked both Scotland's People and the LDS site.

Jasper Whyte
Christening:October 14, 1832
Father David Whyte
Mother: Jean Glennie
Place Tannadice, Angus

Siblings of Jasper
James Whyte - May 25, 1818 Tannadice
George Whyte - November 10, 1822 Tannadice
Catharine Whyte - July 31, 1824 Tannadice
Mary Whyte - May 1, 1826 Tannadice
Hariet Whyte - March 23, 1828 Tannadice
John Whyte - February 28, 1830 Tannadice
Robert Whyte - March 8, 1835 Tannadice
Charlotte Whyte - February 26, 1837
Alexander Whyte - August 1, 1840

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 06:27 GMT (UK) »
1841 Census - Howmuir, Tannadice Angus Scotland

WHYTE   David   M   40  Labourer  Angus         
Jean   F   40  Outside Census County         
George   M   15   Labourer  Angus         
Mary   F   14  Angus         
Hariet   F   12    Angus         
John   M   10   Angus         
Jasper   M   8   Angus         
Robert   M   6   Angus         
Charlotte   F   4  Angus         
Alexander   M   10m Angus 

There were only 15 others by the name of Whyte living in Angus with no other being called Jasper.

Janice

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Morisco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the help.

The library source that JJ has tried to borrow looks promising. If it is reference or something I will plan to make a trip to Edinburgh to check the main library there.

The Canadian death register (Karen M's post) is pretty strong proof that this Jasper is the Howmuir Jasper as it mentions the fathers name as David.

The other Jasper (who maried Rahn, Janice M's post) is actually a grandson.  I have looked through the Canadian on line records and Howmuir Jasper appears in the 1871 and 1881 census returns and is married to Ann Smith (also from Angus)./  He had a son Jasper (b 1868) who married Martha Bunston and they had a son Jasper (b 1905) who married Helen Meta Rahn.

Morisco

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Here is the information on that last marriage mentioned...with a contact email address...
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=mam&id=I20122
The book is obviously reference material, and so can't be removed...but I'd like to know who has a hold/transfer on the publication, then?
I called my bracnh & they had no idea...the main branch either, but "they'll get back to me".....and no way will I bus it and then walk to the library if the thing isn't there....
So let me know if you do find it.....and if not I will still go and have a peek once it is confirmed the books are there...( I can look for some other people at the same time, then. if all publications are in....)

all the best, J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com