Author Topic: Marriage lookup Pls, Kilmonivaig  (Read 17676 times)

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup Pls, Kilmonivaig
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 November 08 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Donald Stewart married Janet Stewart in Kilmonivaig on 4 Mar 1811. Donald died at Glenfintaig, near Spean Bridge in 1855. This marriage was his second and produced 10 children, 3 died at a young age. His first marriage was to Margaret Kennedy in Laggan parish which produced 2 children. The 1885 death records were superb with their extra info!

On the 1841 census, it seems possible that grand-dau Mary may be  son Ewen's child by his first marriage to Sicely McKinnon in 1839. Mary is still with Donald in the 1851 census, along with his daughter Janet. Ewen later married Isabella MacDonald in 1844 and they lived on the north shore of Loch Arkaig in Kilmallie until their deaths (Ewen in 1909 and Isabella in 1900).  It is this Isabella who is recorded on the 1851 census with 3 of her children - Clementina, Angus and Donald. Donald and Janet's son Alexander (9th child, 4th son) is believed to have married Ann Cameron at Corpach in 1848.

Donald's parents were John Stewart and Christian MacPherson, with Donald believed to be their first child in 1780 in Laggan parish. It seems they may have had 9 children, but still early days in researching this family.

Scotland: Aberdeen - Sim, Tawse, McLean, Henderson, Hatchwell, McKenzie, Littlejohn; West Lothian - Hill, Macintosh, Hutchison, Spowart, Douglas; Forfar - Soutar, Mitchell, Young; Inverness - Macdonald, Cameron, Stewart.
Ireland: Frazer, Brannan, Fitzgerald/Fitzmaurice, McGladrigan.
England: Havercroft, Dunn

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandma Ella Williams 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 November 08 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallglen!  This is very helpful as I'd not yet got beyond Donald and Janet.

What's your connection to this family?  Catherine Stewart was my brother in law's 2G GM

Jane
DBY:  Walters. DUR: Dorman, Gowland. DVN:  Berry, Gent, Norman, Reed, Spurrell, Watts.  ESX:  Adams.  NBL:  Fenwick,  Jobson.  NFK:  Dewing, Goss, Herring.  SAL:  Bailey, Ball.  SRY:  Wicks.  SSX:  Baker, French, Pelling/Young, Parlett, Paine.  STS:  Bailey, Hanson, Penn, Radford.  YKS:  Dewing.  NI Co Armagh: Sergeant, Bradford. Wales: Williams, Owens.

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 November 08 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

It's my wife's family actually - Donald Stewart was her maternal gg-GF. Son Alexander Stewart who married Ann Cameron became a gamekeeper at Kinlocheil, as was his son Hugh. Alexander and Ann Cameron are buried in the old Kilmallie churchyard at Corpach. By the way, Donald was buried at the Macomur graveyard near Spean Bridge.

This family has proved tricky to locate and some of the info still needs verification but we're getting there.

Cheers,
John
Scotland: Aberdeen - Sim, Tawse, McLean, Henderson, Hatchwell, McKenzie, Littlejohn; West Lothian - Hill, Macintosh, Hutchison, Spowart, Douglas; Forfar - Soutar, Mitchell, Young; Inverness - Macdonald, Cameron, Stewart.

Offline Kilmonivaig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was Robert Fraser who is the son of Donald and Catherine Fraser who married in Kilmonivaig and came out to Australia on the Lord Stanley in June 1854. I have some information including a short family history written by Leslie John Fraser but would be grateful to know more.
Jane

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

Donald Fraser and Catherine naming a son Robert could be a pointer to Catherine's parents being the Donald Stewart and Janet Stewart mentioned in the earlier posts, as Catherine Stewart had an elder brother Robert, born 1818, who married Flora Cameron in Kilmonivaig in 1848. Robert was the informant for their father Donald Stewart's death in 1855 at Glefintaig where Robert was a shepherd.

Cheers,
John

Offline Kilmonivaig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 07:32 BST (UK) »
John, this is interesting. Thank you. Do you know anything about that area or when my relatives would have moved there?
Jane

Offline hallglen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 August 09 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
I can tell you that Donald Stewart was born in Shirramor in Laggan, the adjoining parish to the east of Kilmonivaig, in Dec 1780. He moved in to Kilmonivaig around 1806 or so, according to the info on his death register entry. Janet Stewart was his second wife; first was believed to be Margaret Kennedy - they married in Laggan 7 Jul 1804.
Cheers,
John

Offline jadewing

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Grandma Ella Williams 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 August 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

My BiL is a descendant of Robert Fraser's brother Alexander b15 Sept 1856.I don't have a lot of information on teh family but I'm happy to share what I have.  I'll send you a PM with my contact details.

Cheers, Jane
DBY:  Walters. DUR: Dorman, Gowland. DVN:  Berry, Gent, Norman, Reed, Spurrell, Watts.  ESX:  Adams.  NBL:  Fenwick,  Jobson.  NFK:  Dewing, Goss, Herring.  SAL:  Bailey, Ball.  SRY:  Wicks.  SSX:  Baker, French, Pelling/Young, Parlett, Paine.  STS:  Bailey, Hanson, Penn, Radford.  YKS:  Dewing.  NI Co Armagh: Sergeant, Bradford. Wales: Williams, Owens.

Offline jatraka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 December 09 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am tracing Donald MacDonald who married Margaret Ross.  I have found their marriage, but cannot find the parents of Margaret Ross - John Ross & Margaret Sutter/Souter.  Any help please.  Margaret Ross was born circa 1824 Kilmonivaig, Inverness.
Thanks Joan
Maddison (one-name study & Peterborough, Northamptonshire),
Anderson & Grange (March, Cambridgeshire),
Attwood (Frome, Somerset),
Barber & Walthew (Birmingham, Warwickshire)
Chacksfield (Tenterden, Kent)
Gibson (Horsham, Sussex)
Pepper (Peterborough, Northamptonshire)
Smith (Margate Kent & Sth Newton, Wiltshire)
Milne & Muir (Sanday, Orkney Islands)
Stafford & Whitehead (Manchester, Lancashire)