Author Topic: John Petherick Harris  (Read 4805 times)

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Petherick Harris
« on: Wednesday 27 December 06 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a great great grandfather who was a Serg.Major in the army and family story is that the King of England went to his funeral which was in Sept 1908. (he was born Denbury Devon, 1830)
Now I know you should only take 10% of a family story as truth but It would be interesting to know what 10% of this story is true,  So does anyone know how I would find out if the king did go to the funeral?

P.S His name was John Petherick Harris.
Megan
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Horrigan - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Martin - St Stithians, Cornwall
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Petherick Harris
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 22:48 GMT (UK) »
The sovereign very rarely goes to funerals, except immediate family.  (According to some though, not even then.)  Generally, a lesser royal or other member of the household represents the sovereign, depending on whose funeral it was.  The last time the Queen went to a funeral, other than immediate family, was I believe for King Baudouin of Belgium in 1993.

Without meaning to be flippant, the truth part is probably that the funeral was in September 1908.  Look for a report in the local newspaper - if by some chance the king did turn up, you can bet it would have been reported in the local rag.  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nell,
I thought that might be the case, but you know  how family are -  always insisting that those family stories are true.
I was also told that he was a personal guard to  the king and Queen - he was in the coldstream guards so I think that is my 10% of truth in that story.
He died in Shaldon in Devon - Do you know if there is a paper for that area in that time?
Anyone thank you for your help
Megan
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 06 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Try the Teignmouth or Paignton local papers - the local reference library may be able to help you out.  There seem to have been more than one: Teignmouth or Paignton Gazette might be the most obvious.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
have been reading this and was intrigued because he was in Manchester (near me) for a time.  Having looked at some censuses I wondered if you had  his census details- sure you will have but if I can help please post.
best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 06 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Yes I know a great deal about JPH  - I live in Australia but I did a family History trip to England at the beginning of this year and was able to gather a fair bit of information on him including finding his grave and the streets he lived in both in Manchester and Shaldon.  Unfortunately the Archives in Devon where shut for stocktake while I was there (I was able to have one day there before they shut) and I wanted to get the newspapers to see if his funeral was in the papers.  I am planning another trip there in Oct 07, I wish it could be earlier but my other half is insisting on doing a holiday that has nothing to do with research and family - so in two weeks Iam off to America where i have not one single line to trace there - What am I going to do!!
Anyway thank you for you help
Megan
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 December 06 21:45 GMT (UK) »
have a wonderful time - that's what you'll do!!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skeates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 15 12:24 BST (UK) »

John Petherick HARRIS was born in Denbury 1830, son of Edward, a seaman and Ann

Marriage: 9/2/1869
John Harris widower Colour Sgt 82nd Reg Foot (Father Edward Harris - seaman)  Marries Mary Ann Hodgson spinster (Father James Hodgson Sgt Major - 82nd Reg Foot) at (Prescot) St Helens Lancaster.
The Wedding Banns 1/2/1829 at St. Mary the Virgin, Denbury Banns Number 22, Minister: John Bradford. Mentions that both are “sojournes in this Parish”
CENSUS RECORDS:
1871 Census: Verne Citadel Barracks, Isle of Portland, Weymouth Dorset
John 40 Sgt Army born Exeter, Mary Ann 25 born (Toronto) Canada West. James Edward 1 Born Aldershot Hants John Hodgson Harris Son M 0  Portland, Dorsetshire.

1881 Census: 89 Temple Street, Manchester JP Harris 50 Drill master and Provision dealer (Born Denbury Devon), Hannah 35 ( Born Maccelsfield Cheshire) , James son 11 born Aldershot, Hamp.

1891 Census:  174 Strand Street, Shaldon, Ashburton John P. Harris Army pensioner (Born Denbury Devon) Hannah (45 Born Maccelsfield)

1901 Census: 61 Dagman Street, Shaldon Devon JP Harris 70 Army Pensioner born Denbury, Devonshire, Hannah 56 (wife) born Macclesfield Cheshire

PROBATE:

Harris John Petherick of Dagmar-villa, Shaldon Devonshire army pensioner died 16/9/1908. Probate Exeter 25/9/1908 Hannah Harris widow Effects £70 1 s

2nd Marriage:
4/10/1879 Prestbury, Cheshire JP Harris and Hannah Beckett, father Samuel.

Hannah Beckett bapt 13 Jul 1845 St George, Sutton (near Macclesfield), Cheshire
daughter of Samuel & Mary Beckett

Offline skeates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 06:24 GMT (UK) »
I have just located JP Harris discharge papers from the Coldstream Guards ! 4 pages of notes.
Service number Looks like : 49B - 368 with details.
Mentions that he had in his possession The Crimea Medal with sebastopol clasp, and the Turkish Medal.
It would be very inetresting to view/located these 2 medals !