Author Topic: New York/Bronx Newspaper look up please  (Read 5687 times)

Offline georgie

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
New York/Bronx Newspaper look up please
« on: Friday 29 December 06 19:14 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to any of the New York or Bronx newspaper archives, I would appreciate if they could
have a look in the 1980's (don't know the exact date)
to see if they can see anything about the 'Thwaites Restaurant' burning down.

I am interested if the possible article will give any history on the Restaurant, e.g. owner's names.

Apparently it opened in the 1870's and burned down in
the 1980's.

Thanks for any help

regards

georgie  ;)
Thweat/Thwaites - Bolton, Bury, Manchester, USA and Australia.
Willox - Lanarkshire
Anderson - Lanarkshire
McKechnie - Lanarkshire
Holmes - Oldham
Howarth - Oldham
Renshaw - Oldham, Bury

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: New York/Bronx Newspaper look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 06 02:49 GMT (UK) »
There were many newspapers in the area.  Here is a link to you give a taste of how many newspapers were in the NYC metro area.

http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/Newspaper/NYNewspapers.html
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I looked in what I have and couldn't find anything.  Sorry!

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 January 07 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Georgie: I searched the New York Times from 1979 through 1990 for Thwaite's. Couldn't find a story of a fire there, but I did find an American Express advertisement from late 1982 that mentions Thwaite's Inn, on City Island, a small island in Long Island Sound. City Island is part of the Bronx. Here's a link to view it on Yahoo Maps.

http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband/#mvt=m&q1=bronx%2C+ny&trf=0&lon=-73.786926&lat=40.848391&mag=4

When the map comes up, you can zoom out to get a better look at where City Islands is in relation to the rest of New York City.

I also found something called Thwaite's Marina on City Island.

Are you looking for Thwaite's for a particular reason?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline georgie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 February 07 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

In the 1840 through to the 1920 US census my Thwaites' ancestors are enumerated in the Westchester area of the Bronx.   In the 1900,1910 and 1920 US census Henry Thwaite is a Hotel Proprietor/Owner on City Island Avenue, Bronx.   I was trying to find out if this would have been the same hotel as in the 1850 US census for Westchester Co., New York were Joseph Thwaites was a Hotel Keeper.

Also from the book 'History in Asphalt' apparently states - "Thwaites Place - The Thwaites lived on this small street for three generations and their property is listed in Beers 1868 Atlas and Bromley's 1891 Atlas."

I was trying to find out if the properties mentioned were in fact all the same property, but the more I delve into it, the more confused I get.  ???  ???

Looking at the yahoo map link you sent (thankyou very much), it doesn't look like the same place to me.

Thankyou very much for your help and interest.

kind regards

georgie  ;)

Willox - Lanarkshire
Anderson - Lanarkshire
McKechnie - Lanarkshire
Holmes - Oldham
Howarth - Oldham
Renshaw - Oldham, Bury

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 February 07 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Georgie: I searched Thwaites Place on Yahoo maps and found that it lies to the west, a few miles, of City Island, where I mentioned that Thwaites Marina is/was located.

Here's a link to the Yahoo map for Thwaites Place:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/017j/ 

If you zoom out to 3 and click once or twice on the E arrow to move east, you'll see where Thwaites Place lies in relation to City Island (the island  just to the right of the words Eastchester Bay).

Thwaites Place is in the Westchester section of the Bronx.

I've found a few telephone numbers, including one for the Bronx County Historical Society, and will make a few quick calls to see if I can get you an e-mail address for someone who knows the history of the Bronx and might provide better help than I can.

Regards,
John
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline georgie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 07 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hiya John,

Found it, thanks very much.   So they weren't the same place as City Island is way away from Thwaites Place.

Thwaites Restaurant on City Island Avenue was, I assume, the property Henry Thwaite was enumerated at in the 1900, 1910 and 1920 US census where it shows him as Hotel Keeper/Owner on City Island Avenue.   Henry Thwaite was a grandson of Joseph Thwaite who is in the 1850 US census a Hotel Keeper living in Westchester.

I'm going to leave it for a while to think about it, I'm getting confused again!!!  ???

Thanks once again for all your help.

kind regards

georgie  ::)  ::)
Willox - Lanarkshire
Anderson - Lanarkshire
McKechnie - Lanarkshire
Holmes - Oldham
Howarth - Oldham
Renshaw - Oldham, Bury

dunnquest

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 17:50 BST (UK) »
Google: "The Bronx: In Bits and Pieces By Bill Twomey" page 46 has Thwaites. 

BTW: City Island had been a few different counties, I forgot the order now, but include Westchester, Bronx and Kings and New York County in your searches.

Circa 1909 Joseph Thwaite had the hotel at 536 City Island Av.  My ancestor's hotel "Kelly's New Bridge aka The Bridge" was at 557 City Island Av.  which is now the Portofino Restauraunt (if they survive the recession).  You can google map  these addresses and take a virtual tour of the street.

dunnquest

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
The fire was February 17, 1992. The last owner was indeed, Bob Borchers.  You can read about the fire in this link..very intersting:

http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?xmldoc=1995952874FSupp78_1933.xml&docbase=CSLWAR2-1986-2006

536 City Island Av is now a "Sugar & Spice Bake Shop"

NEWS FLASH!!! William owned/ran a hotel at the Junction of White Plains ave. and Boston rd while Joseph owned/ran the hotel at 536 City Island Av!
William and Joseph Thwaite are listed in many books for liquor licenses and such even in 1912 and 1913.  I think it was being called New York County around then.

http://books.google.com/books?id=b_xPAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:b_xPAAAAYAAJ&hl=en&ei=A4Y5TvqqKerq0gH4q-3JAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=thwaite&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=oKslAQAAIAAJ&dq=%22536%20city%20island%22%20thwaites&pg=PA397#v=onepage&q=%22536%20city%20island%22%20thwaites&f=false

Here's are some links for Thwaites photos:

http://irmaml.tripod.com/BxPix14/ciave.html

http://cdm128401.cdmhost.com/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=any&CISOFIELD1=CISOSEARCHALL&CISOROOT=/lc&CISOBOX1=island.&CISOSORT=descri%7Cf