Author Topic: 1856 Newspaper - Arrival of HMS JUNO in Sydney  (Read 3947 times)

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1856 Newspaper - Arrival of HMS JUNO in Sydney
« on: Wednesday 10 January 07 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Members,

Can somebody please assist in finding the newspaper Report of the HMS JUNO's  arrival in Sydney from Cocos Islands and the Indian Ocean in 1856.

The HMS JUNO was under the command of Captain FREEMANTLE and was of particular significance at the time, as apparently, it was sent to claim the Cocus Islands by Queen Victoria.

My particular interest is that my GreatGrandfather George Gilbert EDMONDS, a carpenter, was on the ship - it was also said to have carried immigrants.

He may have been 'paid off' in Sydney as a new settler; did he emigrate; or, perhaps he may have even 'jumped ship'.

He married in Sydney in April 1857. 
He died in Brisbane on 17 December 1906 [ just 100 years' ago].

Any small snippet of information will be greatly appreciated.

EDO

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1856 Newspaper - Arrival of HMS JUNO in Sydney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 07 03:13 GMT (UK) »
You might find mirofilmed copies of major Sydney newspapers in any big library, certainly the State library.

Christine  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 January 07 04:10 GMT (UK) »
hello there

a quick search of  the SRO for Nsw

didm't  show  the Juno  up  as an Immigrant  ship  nor was  there any  record  of George Edmonds arriving as an assisted immigrant  into  NSW

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline onevoice

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 December 22 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Thoigh you might enjoy this:

1856 (Jan 18) flapless cover from England to "Lieut GB Headley RN/HM Ship Juno/Sydney ..." on the Australian Station with 2d blue x3 (one with trimmed perfs at base) paying a 3 oz letter rate as per 10 January 1840  Uniform Penny Postage  rate.
  tied by indistinct numeral cancels, 'BRIDLINGTON' (Yorkshire) despatch and Sydney 'SHIP-LETTER/MY 4' arrival b/s , largely very fine strike of the small British 'd1' accountancy h/s in red on face.

Because it was addressed to an officer, the sender was not entitled to the 1d military concession. Carried as a packet letter with the 1d due to NSW (as compared to 3d for private ship letters) shown by the accountancy marking.

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 December 22 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Edo
I will have a look for you. But quickly write a comment

Cocos Island is part of the Cocos Keeling Islands, which includes Christmas Island and is actually part of Australia, so it won't be immigration at all.  Immigration is always from another county.  If they came from Cocos Island, it would be intercolonial shipping, not immigration.  So we need to look at SHIPPING INTELLEGENCE JUNO on TROVE.   Being in the Indian Ocean, there is a strong possibility that your Edmund arrived in Fremantle, Western Australia, then went on a different ship to NSW.  OR, was on the Juno whilst it travelled around to the eastern states. 

I will have a look at the Western Australian records because to me it seems the most logical. 

I personally think that there were not many jumping ship - he was a carpenter - no need to jump ship.  He was obviously a respected gentleman.   So it would appear he arrived as an immigrant, but didn't START in NSW, that's just where he married and settled down.  I will look at other ports for you.
Katherine

IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 December 22 09:35 GMT (UK) »
This post is from 2007, and Edo hasn’t logged in to rootschat since 2015. It might be best to wait for a reply before you look for information for him as information may already have been found.

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 December 22 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,
I have only just discovered this 'help' section. I will check the posting date before i put in research time.  Appreciate the reply )
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 December 22 11:08 GMT (UK) »
No worries Katherine. It’s nice of you to try to help.  ;)