Author Topic: So what would you do?  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: So what would you do?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 31 January 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Lost and confused , how do you know if the names are wrong , or the dates, have you actualy researched this woman to see what happened to her,
Sorry just trying to help,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline lostnconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 31 January 14 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Lost and confused , how do you know if the names are wrong , or the dates, have you actualy researched this woman to see what happened to her,
Sorry just trying to help,

I appreciate the help I really do.

My Nana provided dates etc to her own kids that do not match any records on the normal BDM searches. The same facts are not even matched on her marriage cert.

The info on her death cert was provided by her daughter (my aunt) from the original info she was given so that is a cyclical search that leads nowhere.

Its something we have had on the back burner for a while but this re-ignited thread has set  us off again ;-)
Morris - Lydbrook and Manchester
Kell - North East
Davis - Manchester
Fleming - North East and Scotland
Beech - North East England
Burrell - North East and new south wales Australia
Bevan - North East England and Wales
Barnes -North West England
Monaghan-north east England and Ireland
Waugh-North East England
Hayes-Manchester
Garvey-Manchester
Lythgoe-Manchester
Need help in finding a Annie Barnes don't know her exact date of birth as it is incorrect on death cert. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 January 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you check for variants of Annie ie Ann, Anne or Hannah

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Anthony Morris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 19:24 GMT (UK) »
What made me type mum's name in the search box and come back here again I will never know but here I am
It was a summers day mum was sat in the green chair by the fireplace near the cupboards (usually dad sat here) it was sunny and the front door was open. She was knitting and I was playing on the old green hearth rug. How and why I asked the question I will never truly remember but I have this feeling it was something to do with her sister that had passed between mum and dad and being a kid I asked the question. She told me not to ask again and as a child I did as I was told. The reason it sticks in my mind is that the answer itself put an end. Sure I was curious and I have never stopped being. Sure I want to know but I told her I wouldnt enquire again and I aint going to heaven (I hope) and finding mum waiting there to give me a rollocking......no chance.
Bearing in mind all the brothers and sisters dad had it has always seemed more than odd that no one knows NOTHING......they must have done and we have hit a very well constructed brick wall.
Lastly losing Len tore me up more than you would think. We were never really close I admit that but he was always there.then suddenly he was gone. The family has never been close and that is all our faults.....love you all

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 22:08 GMT (UK) »

I'm beginning to think that her surname wasn't Barnes. I looked for her on the 1939 register and it should show her name as Ann/Annie Barnes and then when she married written between Annie and Barnes in a different ink and handwriting it should say Morris and there's no record in the whole country for those two names. Maybe someone else could check this out as I may have missed something.

I wonder if she'd been married before and Barnes wasn't her maiden name. Could you scan her marriage certificate so we can look for some clues?

Margaret

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the actual scenario is similar to one I have in my tree.

This lady was born in 1918 and registered under her birth mothers name. She was then adopted, privately as formal adoption did not exist, and was thereafter known by her adopted parents name and it is her adopted father named on her marriage certificate as her father. We were lucky in that her date of birth was correct and she was registered with a middle name of her adopted parents and there was an agreement drawn up between them and her birth mother so we could trace the name. Otherwise we would never have known the name she was registered as at birth.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Is there perhaps any significance in the fact that the marriage took place in wartime?
A relative of mine was in Manchester, on "War Work" during the war, although she had no links there, one of many. I recall her telling me of how, when one of "the bunch" was getting married, and, like her, they usually came from far away, they all would rally round to provide things, and most attended the wedding, as usually the bride's family couldn't make it. I believe my relative's speciality was providing the "honeymoon suitcase"- she said it'd been on about 20 honeymoons by the time it went on her own, late in the War.
If Annie was not originally from Manchester area, but had merely been working there, then perhaps that could have accounted for a lack of family?
Don't give up - someday you'll get there, I'm sure.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record, have you eliminated:
Ann Barnes born 22nd July 1912 Walkden, to John James Barnes (Collier) and Elizabeth?

Ann Barnes born 10th Nov 1911 Failsworth to James Earl Barnes and Gertrude (Longshaw)

Ann Barnes born 1911 Lancs to James Barnes and Margaret (Brailsford)
                                                                     ?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)