Author Topic: PEACE - Sheffield - 1841, 1851, 1861  (Read 23082 times)

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: PEACE - Sheffield - 1841, 1851, 1861
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi AMBLY and all: Two of my great great grandparents, Joseph and Mary Drury, along with their infant daughter, survived the Great Sheffield Flood. I was about to post a link to the archive of claims for damage from the flood, but I see that you already have it.

I searched PEACE on the claims site and got 101 hits for claims, at least five by different people named PEACE. Many of the others claims were made by employees--file cutters and saw makers, etc.-- of at least two companies run by men named Peace.

Cheers,
John
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:28 GMT (UK) »
AMBLY: Forgot to mention that I live in Brooklyn, NY--in case you need any help re: Brooklyn or NYC. The Vulcan Saw Company was located in Williamsburg(h) section of Brooklyn, home now to small manufacturers and many artists.

In contrast to Colorado, where I believe Liverpool Annie lives, it is not snowing, and it has not snowed at all this winter. Denver and environs are taking all of our punishment this year, for which we are heartily grateful.

Cheers,
John  :o :o :o

SCOTLAND

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 27 January 07 21:00 GMT (UK) »

Ambly !

Have you seen this .... somebody else is researching Peace also ........  :D  :D :D

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0168/

John .... I'm suffering from a little cabin fever ....... !!  ;D ;D ........... just get shovelled out and here it comes again !!  ::) ::) ::) you can take it back anytime !!  ;)

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 27 January 07 23:35 GMT (UK) »
This is the 'other' PEACE family in Crookes Gardens in 1851:

1851 census
ref: HO107/2337; Folio 746F
Crookes Gardens
(Ecclesall Bierlow)

John PEACE Head Marr 57 file manufacturer Sheffield
Martha PEACE Wife Marr 56  Sheffield
William PEACE Son Unm 32 file cutter Sheffield
Ann PEACE Dau Unm 28 Sheffield
Sarah A PEACE Dau Unm 19 Sheffield
Martha COWARD [?] Daur in law Unm 18 Grenoside
Henry PEACE Son Unm 15 file cutter Sheffield

'Dau in law' here probably has the meaning 'step-daughter'.

--

By the way there are 34 PEACEs buried in Walkley Cemetery (opened 1880) but none with an address in Walkley Bank Road

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi again all!

Another hot  but windy day here; not a skerrick of snow  ;D - in the winter it can get up on the tops of the ranges above my place, but never down as far as the village. Have been taking the kids swimming at a local playground / park, and out in the garden here attacking the weeds!  Some nights it's still humid late evening and 10pm at night before it coold down. Actually I love snow , I wish it DID snow here! Unfortunately, we just get lots of rain in winter!

Parkwood, Thanks again - that does look like the right George - it certainly
fits with what I already have. My guess you are looking up on a CD record set? ? I have found some of mine at:  this site(but not George):
http://www.gencem.org/burialrecords/records.php

John, thankyou - those Archives sites are a goldmine aren't they  - I see
the mention of your Drury's too.
A lot of the PEACE you mention who were Flood Claimants are related; some of
them I haven't come across in any way I can ID them at once ( egDavid,
Thomas....) and the rest of them, it takes some sorting as to who's who.

There were at least two companies  over the time: one of William Kirkby PEACE
& co (Eagle Works)  and his father before him, I would say , and another
with Edwin & Samuel as the PEACE brothers, who are cousins related to WK. As  well, there was a  Joseph Peace & Co., at Neepsend, known by the name of  Merchant Works,  possibly relative to William Hobson PEACE.

There was also another Manufacturer  pair of brothers, John & Charles PEACE of Peacroft - these two I believe are  brothers to "my George". John is the one in the 1851 Census. I am also wondering if  Harvey W PEACE was connected to these  brothers via Charles......but more on that later.   If you ever come across anything in your local  local on Harvey W, I would be grateful to know it; I'm going to post a request for a look up in immigration records for him.

Hey Annie!  Brrr! Hope you're keeping warm  ::)  ;D
Thanks for finding the link, it's the same one I posted up on Pg1  ;) it's got a lot of stuff which is invaluable, they have done a lot of work, and I have found even more on some of the lines.  I'm going to contact them, as my direct line isn't part of it and I'm pretty sure it should be - maybe they will be interested to know more.  There are another couple of researchers out there too with connections to lines in the tree - the email addys are quite old, so I hope they are still active.

Dalum, thanks for the 1851 for John, which has helped with a link-up - it's the same man I already have in 1861, who is by then married to a second wife Martha COWARD nee MILTON (so you're right abt the step daughter).  Is there a set of CD's with the burial records youself and Parkwood are finding? I might have to invest......

Thanks again everyone!
Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi AMBLY: If you want snow, we're getting here it on the East Coast of the U.S. on Friday. If you hop on a bird, you'll be just in time for it. Or you could detour to Colorado, where the real action in the white stuff is. Annie, who wishes she were back in Liverpool, very kindly offered me all of the snow that has had her starting to climb the walls. Alas,, I must politely decline her generosity. I had my fill in the winter of 1996, when New York had 17, count 'em, 17 snowstorms. I parked my car one day and then couldn't find it for six weeks. I could only see towering mounds of plowed snow where the car once had been--and still was!

But on the topic of PEACE: It's been helpful reading.  I've learned, from looking again at the Flood Claim records, that my gt gt grandfather Joseph Drury, who was a forge man, probably did not work for any of the PEACE factories.

Cheers,
John

SCOTLAND

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ambly: I was about to logoff and retire for the duration when I saw that you were going to post a lookup request for Harvey W. Peace's immigration records. So I went to the website for Castle Garden (operating through most of the 1800s as the predecessor of Ellis Island) and to the Ellis Island website, looking for said Harvey.

There were 66 Peaces on Castle Garden but no Harvey; 125 on Ellis Island site, including one Harvey Peace who was a butcher and lived in Clinton, NY, which is far north of New York City.

On Ellis Island there was also a Norman Kirkby Peace, a resident of Sheffield arriving 1906 for "various tours" and staying in New York at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel and going on to Yosemite Park. I was caught by the middle name.

You can access and search both sites: www.castlegrarden.org and www.ellisisland.org. They're both easy to use, if you haven't already seen them. Ellis Island requires that you register. Castle Garden doesn't.

Cheers,
John

SCOTLAND

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks for that - I didn't think of Castle Garden, but will have a good look.
I am reg with Ellis Island, but no sign of Harvey there - though I understand he only went back to the UK once in 1857? after first going to America in 1848. I wonder if he "Americanised" his name somehow.......?

I didn't see Norman Kirkby PEACE on Ellis (will look now!)  - but he is the son of Hugh Kirby PEACE, who was the son of William Kirkby PEACE  - William & Hugh were in the business of File & Steel manufactury.  WK was born abt 1821 the son of Charles PEACE and Mary KIRKBY. (who died 1825). Charles may have had an earlier wife, and did have a later one and is a possibility as Harvey's father. If he was, then Mary KIRKBY can't be the mother if Harvey was born 1831. So far I don't have any son I could attribute as being Harvey.  And if Charles is the father, in 1846 he was apparently married to a Mary HOUSNFIELD - so I wonder if there was another wife 1825-1846 from whom Harvey was sprung...

However, all that said, there was ANOTHER CHarles PEACE  - in the same wider tree as WK  but who is much closer to my direct line, being the brother (100% sure brother of my 99.9% sure George) who had connections to the US and was also a File Manufacturer with brother John (the Pea Croft Peace's)....

Charles PEACE b 1797 - d 1869 ,  m Sarah STACEY
He had a son named Charles b 1827 who married a Maria NODDER.
Charles Jnr at least must have gone to the US as , Charles Jnr's 2nd child was born in New York - in the house of Charles Snr in 1851 is:

Son: Charles PEACE 23 YKS Sheffield
Sons Wife: Maria PEACE 28 b WAR Birmingham  (Maria is nee NODDER)
GrDau: Sarah E PEACE 3 b YKS Sheffield
GrSon: John Charles PEACE 18m b America, New York State
GrSon: Walter PEACE 5m b YKS Sheffield

So again, another possibility for Harvey's family - is Charles Snr the one who went to the US in 1848 with his 2 sons?

Thanks for the tip off re Norman - and I hope you've got a tall car with sonar now  ;D Make a snowman for me - I'd ask Annie, but somehow don't think she'd be in the mood for skylarking about in the stuff!!

Cheers
AMBLY

Add: Just saw on Castle Garden - Norman's father Hugh Kirkby PEACE went to US in 1881  ;D

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 February 07 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Just an update on Charles PEACE - the one who is my 3x Gt 'father - and 2 requests for more help.....

He was born abt 1822,  in 1841 with his parents George & Sarah, married Ruth 1852,  is in 1861 and 1871 with the wife & kids  and he died 1875 - all in the Nether Hallam, Crookes areas. What I didn't have was him in 1851, when he was still a bachelor and he wasn't at home with his father...

Rambler found this one, which at first I thought could be him, right age and occ,  - though the presence of servant didn't gel, didn't seem to fit......

I think this is Charles in 1851:
HO107/2338; Folio 422; Page 51 - 9 St George Terrace, Sheffield
Charles Peace - Head - 27 - ?? & Filemaker - Sheffield
Susan Nicholes - Servant - 32 - Upper Hallam(?)

But now, I don't think it's my Charles - I think that Charles is the brother of William Kirkby PEACE who is one the same Piece 2338; Folio 422.  This 1851 Charles  married  Jul 1852 to a Margaret Maria ARMITAGE and was widowed in 1853.

Could someone please take a look at HO107/2338; Folio 422 and tell the details of the entry for:
William K PEACE age 33, with wife Mary Susannah also 33

If I'm right, it's back to the drawing board with my Charles (Chas) PEACE (PEARCE, PEASE, PEAS) - still missing in 1851 age about 28-29,  unmarried Filecutter born Crookes (or Sheffield abt 1822.  Can I ask for another look for him ?  Maybe he ventured out of the 'home area' for a while!

Thanks a lot!
Cheers
AMBLY