Author Topic: Question regarding Burma and WW2  (Read 1575 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Question regarding Burma and WW2
« on: Monday 29 January 07 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Just having a debate with a friend of mine tonight about Burma and WW2

He said that there was an American or Canadian Regiment who were wiped out in Burma during the Japanese invasion. Only a few men came out and those could be counted on one hand.

Them he mentioned Jungle and also Guadal Canal but even I know that isn't anyting to do with Burma. He also mentioned Mosin Nagant rifles which I do know were used extensively but I'm not sure about Americans or Canadians using them - or am I wrong there?

I would be really grateful if someone could clear this up for me

Am I right in saying that no American / Canadian regiment was wiped out in Burma?
Am I right about the rifles not being used by them?

Thanks in advance

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline OldBraggs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding Burma and WW2
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I think he must have watched too many Hollywood war films!

The Japanese invasion of Burma began 11 December 1941; Burma had a small garrison of British units, Burmese units and Indian Army units. Certainly no Canadian or American units anywhere near Burma. The Americans arrived much later.

The Mosin Nagant was a Russian rifle and not used by the British, Commonwealth or American units.

Steve
Cheltenham. The Gloucestershire Regiment.
Military History. Medal collector.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve
I think that has cleared it up for us lol
I reckon he has watched too many films - Merrils Marauders being one of his favourites
So I will be happy to strike the win in the air for me about the rifles  ;D

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Merrils Marauders are not an invention of Hollywood, they were an American unit that did fight in Burma and suffered very badly under the Vinegar Joe Stillwell overall leadership

They arrived in the TOW around late 1943 when Burma was very much still occupied by the Japanese Army, and fought in a very similar way to the Chindits

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harribobs
 I know Merrils Marauders were a real unit but did they lose in a battle to the point where only a handful of men survived? That is what we are trying to find - a unit which had heavy losses to the Japanese in Burma
Carol

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 12:17 GMT (UK) »
this is from the Marauders History Site

http://www.marauder.org/history.htm

BATTLE CASUALTIES:     

Battle Deaths                  93    

Nonbattle Deaths       30    

Wounded in action     293    

Missing in action             8    

SUBTOTALS:                424    

DISEASE CASUALTIES    

Amoebic dysentery                          503    

Mite Typhus fever (Usually Fatal)    149    

Malaria                                          296    

Psychoneurosis                                      72    

Miscellaneous fevers                          950    

SUBTOTAL:                                    1970    

TOTAL:                                                2394

If i read it correctly, they were made up of 6 combat units of 400 men, so they basically suffered 100% casualties

edit..plus another 600 HQ and transport staff therefore approx 80%

and btw the didn't lose a battle, they just fought in some of the worst conditions until there was there was nothing left

the chindits suffered just as badly

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info Harribob
I know about the Chindits as hubby's Dad fought with them in Burma. Thats how the "debate" started.
Sorry I wasn't trying to insult them in any way

Carol