Author Topic: John Fothergill....Mallerstang  (Read 12179 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: John Fothergill....Mallerstang
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 August 07 17:54 BST (UK) »
hi you should look for fothergills in ravenstonedale. the family is very omportant there and there are screeds of them in the immediate area which includes mallenstrang,ravenstonedale,kirkby stephans . many owned land and were governers of schools etc. my family of whartons married into them and i have just come from the area . i think there are more fothergills and dents from that area then any other name . bye
fredrirca
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 August 07 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi fredrirca..... I've only just arrived home from four days around Hawkshead where John was living and died....  found everything I wanted.  ... 
On the way back home I came Sedbergh, Outhgill, Kirby Stephen way ... to see if I could find anything, but it was pouring down, so I'll go back anther day.

I do know that most of the Fothergills seem to come from Ravenstonedale area but there is a heck of a lot of John's born around the same time (1791/93.  He was only on the 1841 and 1851 census.... and in 1851 he said he was born Mallerstang and he was born 1791...... I have a choice of three John's...... how on earth do I find the right one? He was married twice.... both times in Greystoke, Cumberland ..so that doesn't help because I've been on to Cumberland Records and the last marriage in 1836 doesn't name his father.  I'm lost as to how I can find out. According to his death cert., he was born 1793

Thanks for replying and if you can come up with anything else I'd be grateful...as I can't think what to do except guess. I'm starting to think he was maybe baptised John Dent Fothergill.... as his first daughter was called Frances and his first son was called James which maybe after his mother and father Frances Dent and James Fothergill ....... but the Dent was never used in his name.

There is a fothergill gathering every year I think I'll have to go next time around.
Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 09:11 BST (UK) »
hi, frederica again . have you looked at the kirkby Stephan's web site by Nancy McLaughlin . you will find lots of matching names . Kirby Stephan also has a history club . you might find them if you ring . ks. information center. keep in touch . frederica . Wharton is my family name and they marry ed into Cunningham , Atkinson  and Milner . all from around Waitby and Ravenstonedale.
bye
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 May 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
FRANCES FOTHERGILL was my gg grandmother married name  Bates lived at Troutbeck Westmorland in 1901 her mother A nn Park was  born near Hawkshead at Fauld Yeat 0n feb  25th 1806 her father listed as a swiller on the birth register .Her Brother John Park lived at Esthwaite Hall with his wife also called Ann with their young son James .In 1851 they had 7 children the eldest James 14 and Frances 12  both born at Springfield near Penrith,plus siblings John 10 Robert8 Thomas 6 William 4 and Sarah 2,all born at Esthwaite Hall.
In  1881 I've traced 3 of Frances brothers   John  married to Jane 37 born at Ambleside and son John G 7 born at Grasmere they lived at Lake View ,Grasmere where he farmed 9 acres I understand this is now the site of the the large hotel overlooking Grasmere Lake. Robert was married to a Ann born at Penrith maiden name probably Armstrong with a young son called Abel John 1year old, they were farming at Back Farm at Roeburndale near Lancaster. Thomas was married to Theresa born at Cookshill in Staffordshire they had a daughter Ada E , Thomas was a coachman and lived at Foldgate cottage near Hawkshead in 1881 but had moved to Park Hall in Derbyshire in 1891 they had   more children.

A John Dent Fothergill was baptised on Jan 19th 1793 at Mallerstang church son of James Fothergill and Frances Dent  same firstnames  John Fothergills eldest two children the address of James and Frances was Birkrigg at  Mallerstang.

His presumed brother Thomas Dent Fothergill was christened at  Mallerstang on 11th Jan 1808 same parents named as above and birthplace on the 1881 census given as Castlethwaite ,Mallerstang .In 1881 he was living at Malham in Yorkshire aged 73 unmarried a labourer and Head of a household.

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 May 09 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Fellsman,

Nice to hear from a distant relative, if you haven't already got this information...Frances was baptised 15th July 1838 at Greystoke, Cumberland, her father John was an innkeeper living at Springfield, Greystoke. (from Carlisle record Office) .....  Ann Hudson's brother's wife Ann, was called Atkinson.

John Fothergill was killed on the highway between Sawrey and Eelhouse on 15th March 1861, I have a copy of a newspaper report on the inquest. 

Frances's husband william Bates was from Hongle when they married. Do you know if Frances was ill ..as the  children seemed be with their grandparents quite alot?

Brother John's wife was Jane Green
Yes Robert's wife was Ann Armstrong.
Thomas's wife was Theresa Slinn.
William married Agnes Gibson and moved over to Co Durham.

I have quite a lot of information but it's great to get more as I've never been 100% sure that John Dent is 'my' John. It makes you wonder why John and Thomas had 'Dent' added to their names and never used the name.

Please ask and if I have the information I'lI give you any you might not have and I'd love to find concrete proof that the child baptised 'John Dent' was indeed John fothergill of Esthwaite Hall. ( I have a copy of the lease)
Jean

Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline daza_1973

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 June 09 21:40 BST (UK) »
FRANCES FOTHERGILL was my gg grandmother married name  Bates lived at Troutbeck Westmorland in 1901 her mother A nn Park was  born near Hawkshead at Fauld Yeat 0n feb  25th 1806 her father listed as a swiller on the birth register .Her Brother John Park lived at Esthwaite Hall with his wife also called Ann with their young son James .In 1851 they had 7 children the eldest James 14 and Frances 12  both born at Springfield near Penrith,plus siblings John 10 Robert8 Thomas 6 William 4 and Sarah 2,all born at Esthwaite Hall.

John park was my ggg grandfather - his daughter sarah married edward peel from hawkshead, whos daughter mary peel married thomas mawdsley, whos son eric was my grandad on my fathers side.....(very distant I know, but I fascinating how family trees branch out  :)

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 June 09 22:53 BST (UK) »
daza  ... have you been in contact with a man called Derek ... he also comes down from John Park.

Do you know what happened to John after 1881?   He was widowed and left with three of his children elizabeth, Mary and Sarah while landlord of the Kings Arms in Hawkshead he then married Margaret Gibson and had another family .... but him and margaret seem to vanish after 1881.  I was trying to help Derek find out what happened to them but we didn't have much luck.

Would you mind getting in touch if you have any information and I'll put you in touch with Derek.
Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire

Offline daza_1973

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 June 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
No I haven't been in contact with derek, but obviously our family tree's connect with john park so it would be interesting to hear for him.
 Thanks for the info about him at hawkshead, but unfortunately when his daughter sarah married Edward Peel in October-December 1876 that is where my family tree jumps to the Peels and then on to my surname Mawdsley.
 So I haven't really followed the park family past 1876 (yet), but hopefully I will soon. Many thanks again for the info  ;)

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 June 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
I'll contact Derek and ask him If I can pass on his email address.

Jean
Ingleby....Derbyshire