Author Topic: Robert Bell  (Read 17490 times)

Offline ainsley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Robert Bell
« on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Im looking for any information on Robert Bell born c 1853 in Carlise. I know he married Elizabeth ??? & moved to Middlesbrough in the 1870's but I'm looking for anything on him before his marriage.
 Any help gladly appreciated
Ainsley :)

Offline phrishy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Bell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:35 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of them born Carlisle, well at least 4 just in the 1871 census alone.  If you could give us his father's name and occupation and his own occupation from the marriage certificate and the date he married Elizabeth, more specifically than "in the 1870's" we'll try to find out a bit more

Offline ainsley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phrisy,
I don't know the name of his father, and I havent got his marriage certificate because I dont know exactly when he married Elizabeth??? or her maiden name. I dont know where he married her all I know is that she was from Tynemouth. I only know this information from the 1881 census and up

Thanx Ainsley

Offline phrishy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Tried to find him on the 1881 census but can only find this one - four years younger than yours which seems a bit of a coincidence ....

2 John Street, Middlesbrough
Robert Bell Head Mar 32 Ship Carpenter Cumberland Carlisle
Elizabeth Wife M 25 Durham Monkswearmouth?
Christopher R Son 5 Yorkshire Middlesbro'
Sarah E daur 4 Yorkshire Middlesbro'
Ann M daur 2 Yorkshire Middlesbro'
RG11; Piece: 4847; Folio: 66; Page: 2

YOu will need the birth certificate of one of the children to get the mother's maiden name and so identify the marriage.

Offline ainsley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thnx Phrisy,
                 I do already have that as a definate match, but Ive just been searching the '61 census and came up with this

RG09 Piece 3654 Folio 98 Pg 21

Take a look see what you think could be a possible match, & I know I need to get a copy of a birth certificate for everthing to fall in to place

I have Robert &his family on the '91census and his age is 38 so that would tie in with him born on '53

Regards Ainsley

Offline phrishy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 20:09 GMT (UK) »
You have a mother named Francis in 1861, but I've no idea how you identified that particular family.

In 1861 you have his age at 9 - it MAY have been transcribed as 19, but if so then the transcriber has mistaken a mark written                                                         afterwards, probably when numbers on the page were being counted.
In 1881 you have his age at 32
In 1891 you have his age at 38

If I look at 1871 I have a couple of possibles

One is aged 19, a bricklayer born Carlisle and Boarding with George and Eliza Hart in Whitworth, Durham.

Another is already living in Middlesbrough which suggest that he might have moved there with his family quite a while before getting married - if it is him.

Pandin? Place, Middlesbrough, Durham
Christopher Morrell Head Mar 48 Labourer Stockton Durham
Margaret Wife M 44 Carlisle Cumberland
Robert Bell son Unm 21 Carpenter Carlisle Cumberland
George Bell son Unm 18 Labourer Carlisle Cumberland
Margaret daur 14 Scholar Carlisle Cumberland
Leonid Morrell son 11 Scholar Middlesbro Yorkshire
RG10; Piece: 4892; Folio: 31; Page: 55
AND this Robert is a carpenter which fits well with his occupation in 1881, also did he like his stepfather enough to name his first son after him?

So you see I could make quite a number of Robert Bells fit the facts of Carlisle and age - I haven't even spread the net as far as areas within Carlisle, such as the Wigtown entry you have in 1861.  There are Roberts born Carlisle living in St Andrew Holborn, London, or Ramsgate Kent and then others born Kirklinton, Acreheads, Bolton or Gilcrux, all in the Carlisle area.

I don't wish to wet blanket your find but I just wanted to show that you need more evidence than a birthplace.  You NEED those certificates.

Offline ainsley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phrisy,
I Agree I do need those certificates, not quiet sure how I stumbled across the info from the 61 census think it was just basically by putting in Robert's name and looking at all that came up. I think I need to explain why that one stood out to me most ,which I shood of done in the previous post. The address in Ormesby North Ormesby is actually in Middlesbrough, although I know it say's Guisborough which is just a couple or so miles from North Ormesby. I know the ages for him on the different census vary but that could of just been that the enumorater rote them down rong or he liedabout his age.
I will order certificates to make sure I have the right person
   Thanx for your help
Ainsley :) :) :)

Offline ainsley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 07 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Got Robert & Elizabeth's daughter's birth cert this morning, Elizabeth's maiden name was Laing. Found the Marriage details of Robert bell & Elizabeth Leing in Middlesbrough in dec 1875(9d 1100), must be the same couple. So Robert was definately in Middlesbrough by 1875. Will now get Robert & Elizabeths marriage cert to obtain his father's name

If anyone could find Elizabeth Laing/Leing before 1875 much appreciated

Thanx Ainsley

Offline phrishy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 February 07 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Well again, you are going to need the marriage certificate to be sure of her father, but there are two possibles, this one is the nearer in age.

1871 11 Hardwick Street, Monk Wearmouth Shore, Durham
Alexander Laing Head M 55 Sawyer Berwickshire Arlingham
Ann Wife M 54 Durham Monkwearmouth
Thomas Son Unm 29 Laborer Durham Monkwearmouth
Joseph Son Unm 28 Laborer Durham Monkwearmouth
Alexander son unm 26 Mason Durham Monkwearmouth
James son Unm 21 Mason Durham Monkwearmouth
Elizabeth daur 16 Durham Monkwearmouth
Ellen daur 14 Durham Monkwearmouth
RG10; Piece: 5025; Folio: 38; Page: 69

The other's birthdate is approx 1857 and parents Robert and Mary A.