Author Topic: DUNIPACE family in Edinburgh  (Read 7203 times)

Offline zeel4321

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
DUNIPACE family in Edinburgh
« on: Thursday 08 February 07 13:00 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the DUNIPACE family in Edinburgh.   Robert Dunipace married Margaret Nimmo 1827 Canongate.   Robert was a baker and died before 1851 when Margaret is described as a widow.   Cannot find an entry for this family in 1841.

They left Scotland about 1828 and spent about 8 years in Stepney, London but their last daughter Mary Elizabeth was born in 1838 back in Leith.   

Trying to find Robert's origins and believe him to be the son of  Robert Dunipace and Margaret Laing baptised 1786 Carmichael.

If anyone else is researching this family I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

Wilma

Offline Cammy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: DUNIPACE family in Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 07 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wilma,
I am also researching the Dunipace family of Glassford. My interest is in George Dunipace son of John Dunipace and Mary Lewis. I have no proof but I think John Dunipace may be the son of Robert Dunipace and Mary Laing.
Cheers,
Cammy

Offline zeel4321

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 07 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply.   I will pass your message on to some others who are also researching same family.   Maybe between us we can work them all out.   There are an awful lot of Roberts!

Wilma

Offline Cammy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Wilma
Yes, you're right, but they must be connected somehow. Do you think we can figure it out  ;) It's so very confusing. Glad to have found someone else researching the same family. My Mother will be pleased cause she remembers her granny Agnes Dunipace.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Cammy

Offline richard watson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Dunipace researchers,

I've been researching the Dunipaces for a while. Robert Dunipace and Margaret Nimmo are my direct descendants. Robert is not on the 1841 Census, possibly he died. The rest of the family stayed at 9 Carpet Lane Leith. I think Robert was born in Newbattle in 1799 to Robert Dunipace and Mary or Margaret  Smeaton. They are listed as being married in both Edinburgh and Douglas, Lanark. Hope this helps.

Richard.

Offline zeel4321

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 08:56 BST (UK) »
I am still probing this family and trying to solve the mystery of Robert Dunipace the baker.

I have never been able to find them on 1841 census - was there a mis-spelling with their name?   The family were in Stepney, London for a while and at least 2 children born there but the last Mary Elizabeth born back in Edinburgh 1838.

My close friends are descended from their son Robert who went to sea.   Which family member are you descended from?   Would be pleased to exchange information

regards  Wilma

apologies if I have told you all this before!

Offline richard watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 June 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Wilma,

my ancestor was Janet Dunipace. She was born in Saint Dunstan Stepney London on 15th June 1829. She married John Flint in St Giles Edinburgh on 11 March 1864. She died at 121 St Leonard street Edinburgh on 15th March 1903.

Richard.

Offline richard watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 June 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Wilma,

I meant to say that she was married previously to a James Buchanan on 6th June 1851 in South Leith. Her father was recorded as William not Robert.

Richard.

Offline zeel4321

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 June 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard.   So glad you picked up my message.   I have a lot of information on Janet and her sisters Mary and Isabella as well as brother Robert.   I can't send you a personal message as my quota is up but perhaps you could get in touch with me that way.   Have a lot of documentation about the family I would be pleased to pass on including your 'cousin'  Robert's descendant.   Perhaps between us we can solve one or two mysteries.

Wilma