Author Topic: 1837 Online Query? Opinions please  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Robyn64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1837 Online Query? Opinions please
« on: Monday 22 November 04 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Listers,
Just wondered if anyone can offer me their experienced opinion?
With the kind help of another lister today I have found a marriage in 1848 that has eluded me. The lister found the entry with a spelling error on Free BDM and it is also listed on Ancestry.co.uk but I cannot find it on 1837 online in either the correct form or with the spelling error.
I am confused...I am fairly inexperienced and have been relying on the accuracy of 1837 online.
Incidently..I am looking at James Jeffery (Jeffrey) marriage in Wilton 1848 Jun
Any thoughts?

Robyn

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1837 Online Query? Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 04 15:00 GMT (UK) »

I was always led to believe that Ancestry's BMD's were a (belated) mirror of Freebmd. How odd.

I'd contact 1837 ask ask about Image availability, OR is the image available at freebmd? (I haven't been keeping up with which images they have available).

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 04 15:15 GMT (UK) »
JEFFREY, James
Record Type:    Marriages
Quarter:    June
Year:    1848
District:    Wilton 
County:    Wiltshire
Volume:    8
Page:    783

Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 04 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I've just checked and it is on 1837online. I'm trying to attach a jpg (never done this before, so it might not work...). The surname is spelled Jeffrey and the ref is indeed vol VIII p783.

Grey Squirrel

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 04 15:32 GMT (UK) »
yay, it worked!

Offline Robyn64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 04 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
Thanks so much for this...I have just found the listing...I had the image saved myself...but saved as Jan-Mar 1848....is that what you found it under?
I will double check then should contact Free BDM I suppose to point out the error.
Thanks so much for your help and opinions....your time and effort is really appreciated..I am just a beginner so I have much to learn from you.

I had foolishly been assuming spelling errors did not happen after 1837...not to mention human error with transcriptions

:-)
Robyn

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 04 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Almost every possible surname appears with several different spellings back then. Our ancestors were mainly illiterate or semi-literate. They mostly had impenetrable accents [some still do today] and the combination of these could easily do much more than change Jeffery to Jeffrey to Jeffreys to Jeffereys to Jeffrys etc.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk