Author Topic: Burials in/around Peebles  (Read 5939 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Burials in/around Peebles
« on: Friday 09 February 07 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me the names of Churchyards and Cemeteries in and around Peebles?

This might be a bit of a long shot . . . . . .

Margaret Penny Swanston (nee Clark), wife of William Lees Swanston died in Polmont on 23rd December 1935 aged 51. She was born 9th April 1884 at Drochil Cottages, Newlands, Peebles. (I have a copy of both her birth and her death certificate.)

Their son, now in his late eighties, is trying to find out where his mother was buried as he wants to be buried beside her.

Now, you might think - why wouldn't a son know where his mother was buried?  Well, he thought that she was bured in Polmont Parish Churchyard/Cemetery in Stirlingshire but the Cemetery Records Office for that area have no records for her at all.

I've searched every Churchyard and Cemetery within miles of Polmont thinking that maybe she had been one of the people who'd accidentally been missed when the records were being computerised, and that just maybe I'd find a stone . . . . . wishful thinking I'm afraid! The staff at Falkirk Cemeteries Office have double checked the old ledgers also, but she's not there.

I intend to phone Peebles Bereavement Services but I though I would give this a shot first and anyway, they had already closed for the day when I tried to ring them at 4 o'clock today.

Anne

Offline margmo1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in/around Peebles
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 07 14:45 GMT (UK) »
hi anne

there is one large cemetery in peebles situated at neidpath road,

as margaret was born at drochal cottages she may be buried in the graveyard attached to newlands church which is approx. 10 miles from peebles.

regards
margaret

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 February 07 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Margaret.

It's not an area I know very well at all. Passed through I don't know how many times but that's been as far as I've got.

I noticed your spelling - Drochal - is that how it should be spelt?

Would you know if these Cottages are still there?

For all that it's reasonably recently that Margaret died, it could have been 1635 for all the success I've been having!

Thanks again!

Anne

Offline margmo1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 07 07:52 GMT (UK) »
my bad spelling - it is drochil.

drochil cottages are still there on the hillside at drochil farm which has the ruins of drochil castle on the land. it is only a few miles outside peebles.
with best wishes
margaret

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 07 17:39 GMT (UK) »
hello
I know you posted your request months ago but I've only recently joined rootschat.
I live next to Drochil farm and the cottages are still there. it is in the Parish of Newlands where there is a graveyard. If I can be of any help, please ask
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 October 07 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi mrs a,

Unfortunately, my wee friend passed away earlier this year. He was cremated in Falkirk and his ashes buried with his wife's in Muiravonside.

We never found anything further out about his mother.  I spoke to a lady at Peebles Cemetery Records Office but they had no note of her or her parents.

Now that the old chap is gone and as I've no personal interest in his family, I'm not pursuing it any more but thank you very much for your interest and for taking the tme to reply.

Anne