Author Topic: For all to see?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline meg2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
For all to see?
« on: Tuesday 23 November 04 18:51 GMT (UK) »
This isn't really a light matter but didn't really know where to put it!

I've recently joined (quite a large FHS) who want me to fill out an Ancestry chart, so far so good, BUT this includes my D.O.B and that of my spouse and parents and grandparents... and my home address...
This will then be on a disc and available to any one who asks for it. They also seem to put email address in their lists whether you want them to or not!

Is this really a good idea  these days?

I think not!!
Imagine all the uses 'bad' people could do with my info!
Think of the people who use mother's maiden name for bank account passwords! (I don't as it happens!)

I'm  very  very wary about giving out info about my self unless I know it is going to be strictly controlled, FHS's are run by volunteers and there doesn't seem to be any idea of PRIVACY or data protection..

Needless to say I shall not be filling the form with info earlier than my grandparents! I shall also be telling the said FHS what I think of their ideas!
Any one else come across this  lack of security with FHS's ?

Bryden-Cumberland/Lancs, Farquhar-Aberdeenshire/Lancs.  Reid-Aberdeenshire. Hopkins-London, Copson-Staffs. Thompson-Westmoreland/Lancs. Parker-Lancs,
Hayes/Staffs. Sippett(s)-Sussex/Staffs, Berry-Sussex,

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: For all to see?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Indeed not a light matter.....Go with what you feel is right, the FHS should not really ask such things from it's members, I have been with various family history soicieties for quite some time now and never have I been asked for such information.

It would not be right putting anyone on your tree that is still alive. I only ever list deceased individuals on my family tree when sharing information.

:D

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I would also advise against providing the level of detail that appears to be asked for here . I would also be cautious if ,as you believe, that the information is being made freely available ... while the people who obtain the information may be perfectly respectable honest etc etc ..... the more information that "floats" around the more likely it is to fall into the "wrong" hands.

The Information Commissioner at http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?pg=Contact%20Us has various contacts if you need further information regarding the procedures etc.

Offline meg2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Exactly Falkyrn..

It's very worrying how we innocently hand over all sorts of info about ourselves, as you say the more that is available the easier for things to go wrong.
We see loads on the media about people 'stealing identities I should have thought that one easy way was to have someone's family history D.O.B's etc. to hand!
The FHS in question sent me a copy of their mag complete with someone's full family tree inside including the submitters home address, D.O.B and marriage details.
Any member can ask for the completed details of another to be copied and posted.

Not a good idea.

Thanks for the URL will have a look at site.

Meg
Bryden-Cumberland/Lancs, Farquhar-Aberdeenshire/Lancs.  Reid-Aberdeenshire. Hopkins-London, Copson-Staffs. Thompson-Westmoreland/Lancs. Parker-Lancs,
Hayes/Staffs. Sippett(s)-Sussex/Staffs, Berry-Sussex,