Author Topic: Ballybay - just a town or area?  (Read 19062 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballybay - just a town or area?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 00:25 GMT (UK) »
That would be very kind...all I know is that Henry McBride SAID he was born about 1831 (ish) in Ballybay.  His father was James McBride (a shoemaker).  His children were reputedly staunch protestant.

Many thanks

Milly :)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Duxbury3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 September 08 19:32 BST (UK) »
Millymcb - I noticed you mentioned a book written by a local historian about Ballybay.  Would you happen to know the name of the book and where I might purchase it?  If you could just give me the name of the book, that would be fine.  Thank you.

Offline peadar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 September 08 19:47 BST (UK) »
the book is called,  at the ford of the birches. it is a history of ballybay its people and vicinity. the authors are james h and peadar murnane. you will need to contact peadar murnane main st ballybay co monaghan for a copy of this book.

Offline Duxbury3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 September 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Peadar, I really appreciate it.

Offline Duxbury3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 September 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
By the way, Peadar, excuse me for not getting it sooner, but, is that you, as one of the authors?

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 September 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
Yes that's the one... excellent book.

I think I probably got mine from e-bay a couple of years ago.   

I can't find it at the moment (post decorating chaos!)...what's that about Peadar being one of the authors?   

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 September 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Millymcb - I noticed you mentioned a book written by a local historian about Ballybay.  Would you happen to know the name of the book and where I might purchase it?  If you could just give me the name of the book, that would be fine.  Thank you.

Was there something in particular you wanted looking up.   When I find the book I could take a look for you.

Milly
 ;D

Offline Duxbury3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 September 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
I don't know if Paedar is the co-author or not, but, I noticed the unusual spelling of the co-author's name and the spelling of the person who answered my question and they are the same spelling. I just took a chance and asked.  I don't know, yet, if the person is the co-author, or, not.  It might just  be a coincidence, but, then again, it might be  one of the co-authors, and, I might be a good detective.  (lol)

Duxbury3

Offline Duxbury3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 September 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
Oh, that's very nice of you, Millie.  Actually there is.  My grandmother was from Ballybay.  I would have to look at my list, but, her name was Catherine Cavanagh,(B.- September, 1880).  Daughter of Bernard Cavanagh and Bridget Kelly.  My grandmother emigrated to the USA in 1902 with her sister, Ida Cavanagh.  They had about 10 children in their family.  I know they lived right down the street from St. Patrick's RC Church, where she was baptized.  I believe some of her family are buried in the St. Patrick's churchyard.  I'll have to find my paperwork, where I can list all the children's names.  Do you think you can find anything on the Cavanagh Family for me? (The spelling of the last name is open for discussion - It was spelled with a "C" on my grandmother's Bptismal Certificate, but, later on was changed to a "K" in New York City).  Thanks, Millie, for any help you can give me.
Duxbury3