Author Topic: Fennor graveyard listings booklet  (Read 8519 times)

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
Fennor graveyard listings booklet
« on: Tuesday 20 February 07 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have read in a much earlier post dated 2005  :( that there is a graveyard listings booklet for Fennor cemetery, Fennor is right on the border of Tipperary/Kilkenny.
Can anyone advise me as to how i can obtain this ?
As far as im aware there is no longer a church there just the graveyard. If anyone has any advice or info id be very happy to hear from you,very happy indeed as this is my brick wall  :'(
Thanks and regards Pat Callaghan

Names - Callaghan,Cody,Nolan,Grace,Whelan,Maloney,Norris & Armstrong all from Rathbeg/Fennor/Urlingfrod & Islands area.
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.
Urlingford town & Urlingford parish. Co.Kilkenny. Ireland.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Fennor graveyard listings booklet
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 07 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hiya Pat,

billkin40 mentioned the Fennor Graveyard booklet on the Look up Phelan in Kilkenny thread. We have a small problem as billkin40 mentioned the booklet in a post in 2005 and hasn't been on line since 2005. I looked at the online Kilkenny Library Catalogue but they appear not to have this booklet.

All is not yet lost though. I received a message from someone who lives in the Kilkenny / Tipperary area.  She told me she may be able to help with research of people's families as she has done some research and found people's immediate families. I've sent a message asking her if she could offer any suggestions

Christopher

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat,

I received a reply from Kilkenny.

Can you explain the booklet to me. Was it printed in a newspaper called the Post or was it a seperate booklet  Was it a History of Fennor Graveyard and are you looking for fennor graveyard? There is a Fennor Graveyard.  I hope you dont mind my asking questions as the more I know the better I can help you.

Christopher

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:39 BST (UK) »
Good morning Christopher and thank you so much for your assistance, your very kind. I dont mind you asking anything at all Christopher as ive been stuck at this stage of my search for so long now ... i must be due a breakthough or lead, im grateful for any help at all. :)
Here goes :-  My ancestors lived on the border of Tipp & Kilk. I know where Fennor is now as visited this area in Nov 2006 i stayed with my Uncle who still lives in Fennor but unfortunately he had very little information concerning my ancestors. While on my visit i went to the OLD MILL CEMETERY in URLINGFORD on the Kilkenny side of the border. I found the headstones of my great grandparents and their parents but i need to go back further. I have since been told by a distant cousin that more of my ancestors are buried in the Fennor graveyard which is Tipperary side of the border.
I read billkin40`s post and have since been trying to get information on the Fennor graveyard listing booklet. I have searched the internet in hope of finding something on this book but had no luck so i rang the Priest in Gortnahoe asked him if the book was for real and he said it was a very rare book and it would be unlikely that i would be able to buy it.  As far as i know this a book, and it has the history and list of people buried.
You can refer to billkins post dated 13 march 2005  (Kilkenny forum) Post says this is a booklet with listings of markings for grave plots. This booklet "FENNOR GRAVEYARD" holds the vital information in need. If you need any other info like names and dates please dont hesitate to get back to me. Thank you once again. Pat Callaghan
P.S. Can i just mention that Fennor is in the parish of Gortnahoe in the County of Tipperary.
Callaghan/O`Callaghan and Cody/Coady, Nolan/Nowlan, Grace, Mahoney, Armstrong, Grattan, Carter of Fennor & Rathbeg & the parish of Gortnahoe, Co. Tipperary.

Also Hughes from Galway, Herward/Hereward and (O)Shaughnessy from Dooghta Clonbur, Galway Ireland.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hiya Pat,

I've forwarded your message to Marie and suggested to her that she joins RootsChat as she lives in County Kilkenny. So far I've not established if there is a RootsChatter in Kilkenny. I'm using similar tactics to other members who, if they can't find a RootsChatter in the vacinity of their ancestor's birth place, have been known to Google like mad in efforts to find websites for B&Bs, guest houses, hotels, libraries, public houses, small Irish villages and even sports clubs so that they can make contact with a person living in the required area. Some members also contact phone-in radio programmes and send letters to local newspapers.

I'm actually using a dating site on which the profile of many members gives the Irish county in which they live and occasionally also gives the town in which they live.

Christopher

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again Christopher, great idea concerning contacts in Ireland  ;)
Im very grateful to you for passing this on to Marie, would you be so kind as to thank her on my behalf.....now its sit & wait time lol. Ive got my fingers crossed for any information on this booklet - im sure it would be a huge help to all who have ancestors from this part of Ireland too.
Cheers Christopher your a star. Regards Pat C

Offline bestie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 07 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat, I too have relatives buried at Fennor and would like to know more details as to where and when. If you manage to make contact with someone who can supply these details, please let me know. Many thanks. Jim Phelan
Phelan, Sheehan, Ramsdale, Brittle, Ashworth, Watkins, Bergin, Daniels.

Offline Patzy_C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dia dhuit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 January 08 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Jan 14th 2008 and Im still looking Jim LOL!
Hope you have had more luck than me. I had put it all on hold for a while to grow some new brain cells, back on coarse now.
Regards Patzy C

Offline mawhitton37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 May 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the booklet which I obtained through luck and generosity. If anyone needs me to do a lookup in the book, please contact me. I would be more than happy to help.