Author Topic: Did Mary Gill who died in Talbot, Victoria in April 1872 have any children?  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Hi All,

I have been sent a death record for the above lady - whose father was David Scott - and I am trying to see if there is any connection to "my" Scott/Gates/Barnsley family.

Who she married and what children she had might help.

As I say she died in Talbot - and my "lot" were in Castlemaine - only 40 miles away - the way I read the map.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did Mary Gill who died in Talbot, Victoria in April 1872 have any children?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 07 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

Had a quick look at the pioneers index,  and did find quite a few children to Mary Gill and father unknown......BUT also found this one, 

John GILL  death
father William and mother Mary Scott
Place :  Emu
Year : 1888
Age 65
reg no. 16086

Not sure if this helps or just confuses matters ?

Craizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 07 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi craizi daizi,

Thanks for that - I think  ;D ;D

The trouble is "my" Ann Scott "maybe" had parents of John & Mary - emigrated to Oz in 1852 aged 61 - I think she had a sister Mary born in 1800 in Cumberland

I should have said that Mary Gill was 80 when she died (on the death record) :-[ :-[

2 Gills marrying 2 Scotts - sounds very interesting  ;)
Could be all related - I see Emu is in the same area (as far as you lot are concerned over there!!  ;D ;D ;D) - miles away to me!

What names for the children - Hope John comes into it!

Cheers

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 07 15:11 GMT (UK) »

Looking through the assisted British Immigration records to Victoria I find that in 1849 on the ship FRANCES RIDLEY both Scotts and Gills names appeared.

Included in the list were Mary Gill  (35) and Robert (40) and 6 youngsters - I presume this doesn't prove it was one family!?

Also does it say where they came started from (having said that - I don't suppose it means much as my other lot, from Cumberland left from London!)

Is there any other details I can get about them?

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 07 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

You are right and the Mary Gill that died  1872 was born in Cumberland....

NOW....not sure it i am really confusing things.  but on the pioneers index (1836-1888)  there are also these SCOTT's all born in Cumberland

John SCOTT marrying Bridget TORPY in 1866
William SCOTT marrying Jane HILL in 1872
William SCOTT marrying Betsy MURPHY in 1879
Jonathon  SCOTT marrying Emily  SULLIVAN in 1882
Sarah SCOTT marrying Joshua McGREGOR in 1881

as i said ,  these SCOTT's were all born in Cumb,  so maybe some of yours ??

Craizi

Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 07 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craizi,

As I said I am going about this the wrong way - my direct line is John Gates who married my 3 x great grandmother Ann Scott in 1818 in Keswick, Cumberland

I think she had 2 siblings - William (1796) & Mary (1800)

I "lost" her for a bit around 1850 only to find she had emigrated to Oz - now I wonder who else went! I have been given loads of information on what happened to their married daughter Ann Barnsley and their direct descendants in Oz.

I "think" those marriages are later than mine - but maybe the next generation.
Someone saw some details on my website and sent me the death record - I am  trying to sort out who goes where!!  ;)
Trouble is "Scott" is quite common in Cumberland.

I do notice lots of Cumberland place names in Oz - so there must be quite a lot of people that arrived from this area.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails