Author Topic: help me solve a mystery  (Read 727 times)

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
  • 5th Generation - Noah Thomas 1874
    • View Profile
help me solve a mystery
« on: Wednesday 28 February 07 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I have discovered through Ancestry Oneworld tree that James Orwin born Chesterfield 1817, moved to Australia around 1859/1860.

He married Rebbeca Bangle in 1862 St Pauls Church of England, Paterson, NSW and they had a daughter Mary Elizabeth Orwin born 27 Oct 1863 in Borehold, Newcastle, NSW...

Then pops up in beaver, Utah in 1871 married to Maria Jane Vaughn.  he died in Utah around 1878

I have checked convict lists for those arriving in Aussie around the time he moved, but i cannot find his name on any convict lists...

so my questions are

How would he have travelled to Australia, would there be any records available on the net

How would he have got from Australia to Utah, would there be any ship records on the net?

I am totally amazed that someone in 1860's was able to travel so far from Derbyshire..infact all his generation of brothers seem to have travelled far away....I would love to know the story...
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws
Smith in laws
Moar In Laws
Calverley In Laws
Bonds In Laws,

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help me solve a mystery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 07 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I am totally amazed that someone in 1860's was able to travel so far from Derbyshire..infact all his generation of brothers seem to have travelled far away....I would love to know the story...

And I am amazed that you have not previously encountered such a journey among your ancestors.    ;D   During the 1850/1860s vast numbers of people willingly emigrated to Australia during the gold rushes - your bloke possibly then went onto to the gold rushes in America, particularly California.   

Check out the threads at the beginning of this board and you will see links for shipping, etc.

cheers
Christine
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline foggyjano

• RootsChat Senior
  • 5th Generation - Noah Thomas 1874
    • View Profile
Re: help me solve a mystery
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 07 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying to my post... I have had wonderful news on opening my email tonight.. a lady off Ancestry has forwarded me a copy of James's diary which tells the story of his life in Derbyshire how he was converted to the Latter Day Saints and the journey he took which lead him to Austrilia and America... it is 17 pages long and she has typed it all out of his diary...I am totally amazed at this and i have only read the first 4 pages... many too go... I am so glad she had the diary and so glad she has shared this with me... arent some people amazing....

Foggyjano   
Thomas
Pearson 
Schofield
Stanton
Davies
Wallwork
Winnard
Evans
Saunders
Berry

Welsh in laws