Author Topic: Penrhosllugwy - Rowland WILLIAMS family from 1797  (Read 11807 times)

Offline janeanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penrhosllugwy - Rowland WILLIAMS family from 1797
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 November 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

After losing everything last week I hope I can piece things together again.  I am working on both sides of the family which takes in Anglesey, Caerns. and Denbs. so can be a bit mind boggling at times!

Here are some marriages for you:-

Parish of Coedana 31st March 1823 Rowland Williams of Penrhoslligwy, singleman and Elizabeth Evans of Coedana, singlewoman married by banns both marked X in the presence of John Evans and William Evans.

At the church in the Parish of Llanallgo 2nd February 1849 Rowland Williams, (my g.g.grandfather, brother of your g.g.grandmother Margaret) bachelor (father Rowland W. labourer) of Caeeithin, Llanallgo in the presence of Thomas Parr and William Jones.

Hugh W married Elizabeth Jones 6th September 1886 both single at Church of Glanogwen,Llanllechid (residence of both given as 11 Twr, Bethesda.

Your g.grandmother Ellin would have been a cousin to Hugh (husband of Elizabeth Jones).

Now some baptisms:-

John b.1850 son of Rowland and Margaret W. Ty Newydd 2nd June 1852; Rowland b.1852 7th October 1852;  William 12th August 1855;  Elizabeth 2nd December 1863 (Brynfelin);  Catherine 28th November 1865 (Ty Newydd).

All this was found with much searching at the Anglesey Record Office.  We stayed in Anglesey for a couple of days and hope to return perhaps next year.

Unfortunately I have hit a brick wall trying to find death and burial details of g.grandparents Hugh and Elizabeth Williams.  I would love to have some help.

Who were your grandparents and where did they live?  I would be interested to hear.  Mine lived on the Wirral.  They had both moved to the area for work, met and married and stayed.

Hope you can unravel this lot and it helps your search.

Janeanne.

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 November 09 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello janeanne :)

Thank you VERY much for posting all the information. 

This is what I have on Margaret Williams & her descendants

Marriage to William Owen May 22, 1858 at Bangor Cathedral Church after banns
Ellen (Williams) Owen Apr 12, 1858 Penrhos died of a stroke age 85, Dec 8, 1943 8 Tan Rhiw Road, Tregarth
John Owen c1860
Griffith Owen c1864
William Owen  c1867-1889
Hugh Owen c1869
Elizabeth Owen c1874

Margaret Owen died of Pertussis July 1, 1900 at Penbonc, Rhiwlas, Llanddeiniolen
William Owen died August 20, 1913 at Tregarth

The family appear on these censuses
1861 Upper Bethesda, Llanllechid  ref RG9/4354/56/6
1871 Rhiwlas, Llanddeiniolen ref  RG10/5717/45/14
1881 Rhiwlas, Llanddeiniolen ref  RG11/5566/143/18
1891 4 Pen y bonc, Rhiwlas, Llanddeiniolen ref RG12/4658/ 95/10
1901 Bryn Teg Terrace, Llanddeiniolen ref RG13/5271/60/9 (William & dau Elizabeth)
1911 William is with Ellen and her family at 8 Tan Rhiw, Tregarth.  He is still working as a Quarryman, age 81.

Ellen Owen married John David Jones Jan 4, 1878 at the Caernarfon Registry Office
According to the 1911 census she had 14 children, 9 were still living in 1911 – following are the ones I know of – not sure which one had died by 1911.

Margaret Ann Jones c1879 – apparently married in south Wales c 1901 – can’t find her.  My father remembered regular contact with the family in South Wales in the 20s and 30s. 
David J Jones c1881
William J Jones c1883
John “Cefni” Jones my grandfather born March 30, 1885 at Garreg Gaeth, Rhiwlas died Dec 23, 1950 at Tregarth
Arthur Jones c1886
Anne Jones c1890
Ellen (Nell) Jones c1893
Eliza (Lizzie) Jones c1899
Annie Jones c1900
Idwen Jones c1902 –1989?

My Dad John Owen Jones was born in Tregarth 1910.  He died age 95 in 2005 here in Vancouver

This is the only pic I have of my grandfather John Cefni

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janeanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 December 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

I'm afraid I haven't done any more research lately but found your info interesting although doesn't really help my search.  It is strange that I am looking at my mother's side and they strayed from Anglesey to various parts and yours to the Tregarth area which is close to my father's birthplace of St. Anns, Bethesda.  They may have known each other.  I do wonder how much inter marriage went on!!

I hope we will be able to go to Anglesey next spring for some more searching.  If I find anything new
I will let you know.

Bye for now

Janeanne

Offline iorwerthapselwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 February 16 08:07 GMT (UK) »
How interesting! Rowland Williams, born circa 1797, is my maternal 3rd great grandfather. Rowland and Elizabeth's son, Rowland, born 1830, married Margaret Williams, at Llanallgo in 1849. Their son Hugh, married Elizabeth Jones, in 1885. Hugh and Margaret's daughter Margaret, is my grandmother. Hugh and Elizabeth were living, at the time of the 1911 census, at the chapel house, Llanallgo. Please see the attachment.
With kind regards
Iorwerth

Offline iorwerthapselwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 February 16 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Thought you might be interested in the following:

Memorial Inscriptions Penrhoslligwy
Children of Hugh and Elizabeth Williams, Llanallgo

Thomas, annwly blentyn Hugh and Elizabeth Williams, Ty Capel, Llanallgo, yr hwn a hunodd yn yr Iesu, Ionawr 22, 1907, yn 12 mlwydd oed. “Gwywodd y glas welltyn a’I flodeun a syrthiodd.”

Er Serchog Gof Am Margaret Williams, annwly briod Rowland Williams, Eugrad Terrace, Marian Glas, yr hon a hunodd yn yr Iesu Gorphenaf 2, 1926, yn 33 mlwydd oed. “Gwyliwch gan hynny am na wyddoch na’r dydd na’r awr y daw Mab y Dyn.” y glas welltyn a’I flodeun a syrthiodd.”

Still searching MI inscription transcripts for Hugh and Elizabeth Williams.

Offline iorwerthapselwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 February 16 16:18 GMT (UK) »
My goodness, it is a small world. Margaret and Selwyn are my mum and dad. Sadly, they passed away a number of years ago. I am Edward, and Jennifer is my sister. My mother’s sister Elsie, married Norman Woollett, who served in the Metropolitan Police Force. My mother’s other sister Gwyneth, lived with her husband Cecil, and family at Hastings. Thank you very much for the info on my grandmother Margaret, in the 1911 census. Do you by any chance have an account with Ancestry.co.uk? If not, I might have a problem sending you a link to my mother’s ancestral chart. If you would like to e-mail me, the address is: abergele1754@hotmail.co.uk.
With kind regards and best wishes
Edward

Offline iorwerthapselwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 February 16 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I've been in touch with my sister Jennifer, and she has promised to look through the old family photographs. If she finds anything of interest, she'll let me know, and I in turn will let you know. I seem to remember seeing a photo of Elizabeth Williams nee Jones, our great grandmother, with her daughter Margaret, your grandaunt, my grandmother. Also, I have found in the national archives Hugh Williams' first world war service record. That is Hugh, our granduncle. I don't know if you are aware of this, but Elsie's daughter Elizabeth, is a renowned opera singer. I attach the web link.

http://www.roh.org.uk/people/elizabeth-woollett

Offline iorwerthapselwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 February 16 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Williams my maternal grandmother, your grandaunt.