Author Topic: 1861/1871 census lookup Greenock or Glasgow  (Read 5303 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1861/1871 census lookup Greenock or Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 March 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
 :-*

Monica  8)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 March 07 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.  James was born 1860 so maybe after the census was taken.  Although the Garman previously reported for 1871 seems highly likely, I still wasn't able to find them on ScotlandsPeople.  I'll try 1861 under that name and see what I find.

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 March 07 09:00 BST (UK) »
Found the Gorman's in 1861.  The surname has been altered on every line.  It's easy to imagine that the (presumably) Scottish census officer was having trouble with the Irish accent of the Gorman parents, hence the recording of the name as Garman.  sheenaMac
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 07 09:05 BST (UK) »
Alas,  the family found in Greenock in 1861 is a different family.   The childrens' names are different.

SheenaMac

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 February 16 05:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm picking up the threads of my family tree after some years absence.  I'm still trying to find the 1861 census for the Gormans (I'm searched using G*rman).  Father William, mother Bridget (or Biddy), James my great grandfather was born in Anderston, Glasgow in 1860.  The home address at that time was Cheapside Street, Glasgow.  They had been in Greenock at the time of the 1851 census and again on the 1871 census, but I can't find them in 1861. Can anyone help with this one?