Author Topic: Garve Cemetery lookup?  (Read 16326 times)

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Garve Cemetery lookup?
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Much appreciate if anyone can provide details re a monumental inscription at Garve. A recent visitor mentionned that on holiday some years back she noticed a stone for a John MacKenzie at Garve, followed by a word beginning with "R" that night have been a spelling variation of "Rhiddorach" or "Rhiavaich". Period anytime 1780-1820.

Also of course any details for adjoining stones that might be pertinant.

Less likely, but also any stones that note MacKenzies at Achnaclerach (same family).

Thanks,

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Garve Cemetery lookup?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Erected in memory of Alexr. McKenzie, Achnaclerach who died in 1789 aged 52 years.

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff Ghostwhisperer!

Not the stone I was hoping to find, but great data in its'self.

Roddie Macpherson has a great website where he is including photos of all R & C memorial stones, and since I started this thread of postings he has included the stone you have,.... however, he missed buried in the sod that last line, "aged 52 years."

A descendant of Alexander about 1912 noted his age at death in 1789 as 52, but did not include sources for his data, which now looks to be the stone you photoed.

Only other age reference for Alexander was in 1746, when French cadets searching to rescue Bonnie Prince Charlie described him as an 8 year old fleeing from Island to Island with his mother in Lochbroom; his father Roderick MK, Tacksman of Achiltibuie and uncle Colin of the Ballone MK family were both officers of the Earl of Cromarty's Jacobite Regiment, captured the day before the Battle of Culloden.

Ages of Alexander's children agree with birth year on the stone.

Donald.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 February 09 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to butt in - but as soon as I saw the mention of Mackenzies of  "Ballone" my heart lept.

I'm wondering if this was the Balloan/Ballone in Urray, Ross & Cromarty.  Your information was so detailed I wondered if you'd got it from a book.  My g.ggrandfather Donald Mackenzie was born there 1776 - his parents were Alexander & Jean Mackenzie of Balloan.   Donald ended up in Lanarkshire, but I haven't found his parents death place yet.

Regards,
Rena

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Rena,

Not Urray, sorry...

Roderick MacKenzie, the Tutor of Kintail, had fourth son Alexander born 1610, in 1635 Alexander was given lands in Lochbroom Parish that he named "Ballone" after a castle the MacKenzies had had in Easter Ross (Urray?)

The MacKenzie of Ballone family at Lochbroom over the centuries intermarried with all the other major MacKenzie families... a confusing mess of genealogy... I've exchanged emails with a sister of the current Laird of Ballone, the family no longer has land in Lochbroom, and has lost most of their family history, though rebuilding.

Donald.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for responding Donald,

I appreciate the Mackenzie history lesson as practically the only mention I've seen of the spelling Balloan has been on a couple of archive websites:

(1)
ONS          CENSUS      OGSS   WARD
CODE   CODE      CODE   NAME
71UD16   71UD16      Balloan

URRAY PARISH  There are eleven land-holders
----
(2)
"Full text of "Old Ross-shire and Scotland, as seen in the Tain and Balnagown documents"
A List of the tennants names belonging to Alexr. Mac-
kenzie of Balloan "
----
I've asked Inverness library for a list of suggested books to read but as yet have not had a response.

Regards,
Rena in England.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Rena,

wish I could be of more help to you, but my east side of R & C knowledge is much smaller than west...

The spelling "Ballone" or "Balloan" is not signifigant, as spelling did not standardize till late 19th century (or till today in my own case, har har). Similarly "Mc" or "Mac", and also keep an eye out for the same person having names recorded different in different docs, for instance; Janet=Jessie, Roderick=Rory, etc....

That first source you note was I think an attempt to create a database that ties postal codes to electoral districts...

The second source is not "your" Balloan, but rather the west coast one, in Lochbroom, from about 1689 if I recall, the book it comes from is digitized online. (use the search engine http://books.google.com

Not sure if the Inverness referance librarians can help you much, but I know they will if they can, possibly they have sources focussed on Urray history... as you are in England you might try phoning there, but remember they are overworked and underappreciated,... if you do then mention Donald at Niagara says Hello

Donald.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donald,

Thanks once more for your time.   My father's grandmother was the Mackenzie in my line but having seen my father informally sign himself "Don M'K....." I know of the abbreviations.   As for Balloan/Ballone there seems to have been more than a couple of them in various counties, presumably the originals being named for the landscape:

gaelic translation: Balloan, G. marshy township, lòn, a marsh
Balloan (Inverness, Nairn). "The farm by the pond", from Baile an Lòin.

I've also got access through my local library to British Library archives which has put digitalised newpapers dating from 1650's online and have found a few articles/adverts which mention Balloan/Ballone. 

Good luck with your research,
Rena

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Rena,

Thanks for posting that newspaper article, they were certainly interesting times!

I took a quick boo on Google, looks like the Balloan your ancrestors were at was held for years (centuries?) by the Fraser of Culduthel family. There is a possibility there are rental or estate records of those Frasers in the National Archives of Scotland at Edinburgh, if so they might include details of your MacKenzies.

I am very familiar with those two Jacobites in the article, from other sources I have transcripts of the evidence at their trials. Colin was a son of Alexander Mackenzie, III of Ballone. He led the men of Ballone into Cromartie's Regiment, a short military career the Ballonne lads were with the Regiment only a few weeks before it was captured at Dunrobin, the day before Culloden.

Colin's sister Katherine was married to Roderick MacKenzie, Tacksman of Achiltibuie in Coigach, the other Jacobite in your article, I am in contact with many descendants of Katherine and Roderick.

John S. Gibson, author of "Ships of the '45", found in French Maritime archives a diary by one of the cadets sent on privateers to try to rescue Bonny Prince Charlie, though not identified I think they met Katherine. Gibson translates as;

"At five the following evening he returned with news of the gentleman having embarked in a French cutter which had been in these waters some days before. Anguier thought that he had seen her on Wednesday 29th June among the islands at the mouth of Loch Broom.  The messenger also told us that four miles from where we were he had crossed a sea loch with a young lady of quality whose brother and husband had fought for Prince Charles Edward. She had followed him to the neighbouring island where she was to spend several days.

When we heard this, three cadets were sent to seek her advice on how we might find a pilot. Our dress did not seem strange to her, for eight days earlier, in another island, she had seen three young men wearing a uniform like ours. This was the cutter which had left Dunkirk three days before us. The Scottish lady wept as she told us that she knew not what fate had befallen her husband and her brother. She had lost everything she possessed and had been wandering from island to island with a seven year old child, for fear of falling into the hands of the English. She had seen some frightful acts of outrage and insult on her sex and the horror of them kept bringing on her melancholy.

At any other time, this sad tale would have moved us, but not now. In the plight we were in we had resolutely to keep to our purpose. The unfortunate lady went on to ask us, sorrow in her voice, whether we thought that the Prince was still in Scotland, and whether, as rumour had it, he had left for France. This she herself believed and begged us not to hide the truth from her. We of course, knew no more than she did of the Prince's whereabouts but we thought it better to talk her out of this and assure her to the contrary. We left her and went on board again but we were greatly perplexed at having to do so. It was all just as difficult as we feared it might be when we left Priest Island. However, our sense of duty and our good spirits kept us going."

That boy with Katherine was the Alexander whose tombstone is near the top of this file.

Donald.