Author Topic: George Street Chapel Huddersfield - does it still exist?  (Read 7788 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
George Street Chapel Huddersfield - does it still exist?
« on: Thursday 05 April 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to locate where George Street Chapel in Huddersfield is or was. Does anyone remember it or know of any maps or photos including it?

My Great great great grandfather was the Reverend there between 1860 and 1864, before moving on to Garden Street Chapel in Sheffield. In his obituary it states that: "His body was taken by train to George Street Chapel Huddersfield to be buried". His name was Robert Stainton.

I was hoping that the Chapel or graveyard may still be in existence, if so I would love to see it. I am hoping that he may have been taken back to George Street Chapel to be buried with his first wife Elizabeth (nee Warburton) who died in Huddersfield in 1862.

I am also interested to know if there are any baptism, marriage or burial records for this chapel? I think he may have baptised his two sons there (Robert Kirk Stainton in 1860, and James Hayton Stainton in 1864).

I think it would be an independent or congregational chapel, if that helps.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated  :)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: George Street Chapel Huddersfield - does it still exist?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 07 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

Im sorry I cant tell you anything about the chapel but I can tell you that Trinity St still exists today a very busy thriving part of the Town Centre and at the bottom of Trinity St is George St which runs down along side of the railway station but there isnt a church there but that doesnt mean that many years ago there wasnt one.
There was a church at the top of George St but Im almost certain it was a baptist church called St Johns, which if my memory serves me correct was demolished in the late 1960/70s to make way for what is now St Patricks catholic church.

Sorry I cant be more helpful

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 07 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joe,

They were living in Trinity Street when Elizabeth Warburton/Stainton died in 1862. I have an odd feeling that the chapel was demolished (and probably any graves with it) and made into a carpet factory....is there one of those in George Street?

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 07 05:16 BST (UK) »
Jen,
There is a Dr Williams' Library in London which has some records of non-conformist chapels and ministers.
It would be worth asking them what they know about your Robert Stainton. Maybe they have a website.  I  wrote an old fashioned letter and got the info  I was seeking about an Independent Chapel minister.

Also, if there was a grave yard attached to the chapel and the graveyard cleared  as part of the redevelopment there would have to be a exhumation order at the Home Office to allow the exhumations of the graves.  I had a similar situation in Accrington when the Oak St Chapel was demolished due to dry rot and the site redeveloped.
 The Home Office tend to ignore requests- in the end I sent a registered letter for which they had to sign a receipt and thus got a next day reply!

Also the local Hudderfield council would know about the demolition and replanning-
Lots of bureaucratic joys ahead for you. 
Good luck & let us know what happens
charlotte

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 07 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for the info, I probably should have updated this thread a bit, as a fellow rootschatter has located the grave of both the Rev Robert Stainton and his first wife Elizabeth Stainton (nee Warburton). They are buried in Edgerton Cemetery, New North Road, Huddersfield.

But I would love to find the baptism records for his sons though so maybe Dr William's Library will be able to help? Still haven't located the chapel site, but I am assured that George Street has changed somewhat since that time and now all that remains of the George Street I am after is a small section called "Upper George Street". So it may remain a mystery...

Jenny

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 01:27 BST (UK) »
Jenny, Good news about locating the graves- lucky you in that and what kind person who told you.

Re the records. I can tell you that the book "My Ancestor were Conregationalists" by David Clifford, pub SOG 1997 does not list any records for  a George St, Chapel in Huddersfield.   It has 3 other chapels: Ramsden St, Clayton West, Highfield. Records fo rthese are atHuddersfield and wakefield Ro.  So no jpy there.
Try Dr William's Library- I found bits of info about Rev Charles Hargreaves in their collection. 
charlotte

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 09:59 BST (UK) »
I can tell you that Highfield is just off New North Road in Huddersfield and just below Edgerton Cemetry.

Ive no idea if there is a chapel still there though.

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys,

I'll try Dr Williams Library and maybe continue with my luck  ;)

Jenny

Offline Christine in Portugal

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandparents, Ernest & Emily Walker 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 April 07 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I have just found a photo of Highfield Chapel on this link.

http://groups.msn.com/EnglishChurchPhotographs/churcheschapelsofhuddersfield.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1155

Christine
Mallinson- Lepton, Huddersfield
Walker, Smith, Slater, Blacker - Farnley Tyas, Huddersfield
Claybourne/Clayburn - Norton Doncaster
Birkenshaw/Birkinshaw - Doncaster
Hall - Skelbrooke, Doncaster
Bisby - Campsall, Doncaster
Hemsworth - Doncaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk