Author Topic: PARDOE surname  (Read 11094 times)

Offline sharonP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PARDOE surname
« on: Friday 06 April 07 08:20 BST (UK) »
My family seem to originate from Worcestershire, however I've come to a halt with my research in this county! There is a family idea that we may have originated from Cornwall back in the late 1700s early 1800s, however again cannot find the evidence! -
I appreciate this is a real shot in the dark, but does anyone have any Pardoe connections ?  - who may have moved north for work purposes, perhaps, and settled around Worcester?  Apparently The name Pardoe is of Cornish origin, however again no evidence!! 
Any clues and help would be gratefully appreciated.
Pardoe, Stiles/Styles,  Harris,  Drinkwater,  Eagles,  Rolinson, Rollinson,  Fortnam , Athrelpho, Perkins,  Bridges - Woodward - Worcestershire.
Staunton, Woodyatt  - Herefordshire
Bell, Cty Durham

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Pardoe surname
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 07 09:03 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Surname Interest Table on here, User - EmmaPeel from NZ is also researching the PARDOE name ..

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=19259
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alhal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Pardoe surname
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 07 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi sharonP,

My PARDOEs were living in Birmingham in 1901, Hednesford (Staffs) in 1891, Cannock (Staffs) in 1881, but before that they were settled in Stratford-on-Avon.

I think you will find that Pardoe or the variant PERDUE is a much more common name than you realise. This is what Ancestry has to say about it........
"English and Irish: from Old French par Dieu ‘by God’, which was adopted in Middle English in a variety of more or less heavily altered forms. The surname represents a nickname from a favorite oath. According to MacLysaght, the surname in Ireland belonged to a French Protestant family who settled in County Cork."

It is a name found very frequently on the continent. There is a family statue in Madrid.

According to Ancestry there were reputedly no Pardoe or Perdue families in Cornwall in 1891.......
http://www.ancestry.com/learn/facts/fact.aspx?&fid=6&ln=Pardoe&fn=&yr=1920

If you look at Ancestry's OneWorldTree........
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/default.aspx?rt=42
........you will find that one person has a Thomas PARDOE (d1930) who was born in Cornwall but that is the only Cornish PARDOE entry but there are also many other Pardoe OneWorldTrees with Worcs connections.

If you look at Ancestry's Ancestry World Tree........
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hf/
.......you will find a multitude of Pardoe trees (none of which were of any use to me).

Here is a link to 2 other people looking for Pardoe connections - one of whom has Worcs ties...........
http://www.ecriteria.net/LinkSearchResult.asp?DBName=WarwickshireSurnamesList

Good Hunting,

alhal

MODERATOR COMMENT: Very long link shrunk using http://www.rootschat.com/links/
Alestead/Alstead/Allstead/Hallstead/Halstead/Halsted/Holsted Baldwin Burgess Cocken/Cockin/Cocking Fielden/Fielding Forrester Gandy Grunday/Grundy Hichmough/Hichmugh/Hickmough Landary/Landry/Launder Legey/Lydgy Libby Nickless Norcop Ormrod Rosthorn Pengelly Pollard Robins Sandowe Smith Stephens Waddicar/Waddicor Whitehead Whittle
Barlow Binns Duckhouse Fletcher Hall Harris Johnson Littlewood Pardoe Thornborough Young

Offline aussie41353

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PARDOE surname
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 05:05 BST (UK) »
I have the Pardoe family of Lye in my tree and hoping someone may be able to add a little info.

I have guesstimated (yes, a little guessing and estimating there) Richard Pardoe (C 1796) Married a Mary ? (C sometime) and had Andrew (About 1829) who married Caroline Chance on the 24th December 1854 at St. Marys, Oldswinford.

I am not sure but think this Mary ? may be Mary Chance and was hoping you would be aware of this or not.

Leigh
Chance, Cartwright, Gauden from Worcestershire, Mason of Rowley Regis, Kestle from Cornwall and Smartt from Middlesex. Okay, so many inter family marriage, any one living in Worcestershire just about

Offline ceepardoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there Leigh,
Just thought I'd fill in some missing gaps for you. Richard Pardoe from Lye 1765 married Martha Round (Not Mary) on 19/11/1786. Their son Richard (1796) married Mary Welch (1796) on 31/12/1820. Richard and Mary had a son Andrew (1829) who married Caroline Chance on 24/12/1854 at St. Marys OldSwinford. Andrew was my Great, Great Grandfather. I've been tracing my Pardoe family tree. All the family appear to be Nailers and according to my research online must have lived in extreme poverty.
http://www.qlhs.org.uk/oracle/poverty-line/poverty-line.html

Hope this of some use.
We must be related somehow!
Caroline

Offline aussie41353

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 17:20 BST (UK) »
G'day Caroline, Great to hear from you. My guesstimation was not too good was it. Oh well, you can't win them all. Just wanted to make sure before I put the details on my tree.

You could make contact with me using my nick aussie41353 either on Yahoo messenger but more likely on MSN Messenger if you use these, let me know.

Leigh
Chance, Cartwright, Gauden from Worcestershire, Mason of Rowley Regis, Kestle from Cornwall and Smartt from Middlesex. Okay, so many inter family marriage, any one living in Worcestershire just about

Offline mongoose2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 October 08 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Sharon what PARDOE's are u researching in Worcs. as some of my family originate from there.

Barry
James, Farr in Cornwall and all the others on my website

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 08 11:24 GMT (UK) »
i have a mary pardoe born 1835 worcs married james clarke from leigh worcs   david

Offline PaulThomasWaterhouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 15 17:55 GMT (UK) »
@ SharonP.
I am not really into ancestry research (at present) but came across your post by accident. My maternal grandfather was Harold Pardoe (born 1898, I think) and I recall him also mentioning (many, many years ago) that his family had originally been from CORNWALL. So its possible any Northwards migration for work happened 1700s or early 1800s.

My grandfather also mentioned a French connection. If that is correct then I would guess Bretagne (France) may also be worth a look prior to this. (I am assuming my grandfather was born in - or around - Liverpool).

I do not know if this helps at all with your Cornish connection.

Regards
Paul