Author Topic: IG Index  (Read 2563 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
IG Index
« on: Tuesday 10 April 07 08:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this as been asked before, if a surmame is listed under a batch number, what is the criteria of relationship between the people named, in my case there are 12 names, 10 of them refer to 2 of my relations, but the other 2  have the same parents, but as far as i know these parents are not in my family, OR are they ?
bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Re: IG Index
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 08:26 BST (UK) »
correction should read " 10 of them refer to my relations" bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 08:58 BST (UK) »
The Index as far as I understand is made up of transcriptions from the parish records OR from data submitted to IGI, thats why we must be careful and check that the entry is from an official source.

Are to 2 odd entries from public records? I have problems with having a common surname and find many possible connects because the parents have the same forenames but may not be connected at all.

I am sure someone with more expertise than I will come back to you
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 09:24 BST (UK) »
If they are extracted from a parish register then the batch number means nothing more than that they were extracted from the same register.

If they are a private submission then the person who submitted them may have thought that they were related.  However private submissions are notoriously unreliable.  This is because particularly in the early days they were made for the purposes of the Mormon Church and accuracy of dates was of no importance as they were listed purely to support their binding to the church.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk