Author Topic: Robert Welsh Bisset Russell  (Read 7946 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Welsh Bisset Russell
« on: Wednesday 11 April 07 13:27 BST (UK) »
I am having problems locating my grandfather Robert Welsh Bissett Russell.  I am doubting whether this full name is his correct name!  I have found his marriage to Margaret Hamilton at Tollcross Shettleston in 1911, when they were both in their 30's.  Robert Russell was born around 1877 in the Glasgow area.  I have found him on the 1891 Census at Duke Street with his mother Janet Russell nee Jackson & his grandmother Catherine.  Robert had a sister called Catherine also born c1879, she also appears on the Census.  Any help to locate Robert would be very much appreciated.
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Welsh Bisset Russell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 13:49 BST (UK) »
This looks like the family in 1881. Everyone showing as born in Glasgow:

Robert Russell    39, Coach Body Maker
Jessie Russell    36
Robert Russell    3
Catherine M Russell    10 Mo

Address: 14 Mathieson Rd, Kelvin, Glasgow

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:04 BST (UK) »
Found the birth for you.

Robert welsh Bissett.. illegitimate born September 21st 1877 39 college street TROQUEER Kirkcudbright

Mother Janet Bissett Factory Worker

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:14 BST (UK) »
Well done Mo, that was a good find  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mo so much, Thats brilliant, that must be an all time record!  Regards Pauline
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
Mo, could you tell me how you found Robert Welsh Bissett Russell?  I was initially thrilled at last to see Robert's birth date.  But then I started to have doubts as I had thought he was born in Glasgow not Kirkcudbright.   Although its possible he could have lied over his place of birth!
I'm not saying what you have isnt correct, but I am relatively new to this, & so far Robert has been very difficult to find.  But I have Robert marrying Margaret Hamilton on 11 Dec 1911 at Shettleston Glasgow.  His father on the marriage certificate was Joseph Russell & his mother Janet Robson/Robertson.  I located Janet Robson/Robertson on 1891 Census (Duke Street Glasgow) with son Robert age 13, Mother Catherine Robson/Robertson & daughter Catherine.  Robert then must have been born 1877/78 Glasgow.  So far I have been unable to locate his birth. 
I am more than grateful for any help given.  Regards Pauline

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 15:45 BST (UK) »
Decided since you were not sure he was telling truth about his name especially since is was so specific I tried Robert Russell, Robert W Russell, Robert W B Russell and then Tried Robert Bisset.. did a five year search with no specific county and found it where you thought in 1877 and with a mother Janet Bisset.

sorry it took me so long to get back to you but got taken out to lunch by son and heir...

Best wishes

mo

If you PM me with e-mail addy will forward image of cert to you.

latest:   Will have another look ans see if any other robert russels appear..

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 16:28 BST (UK) »
Right have had another good hard look at Scotlandspeople. 

I found a marriage with the same selection of surnames now I am still not 100% sure its connected to your chap but thought too close not to post details.

Joseph Bisset Russell aged 21 marries Janet Edgar Milleraged 20. on 11 November 1887 in district of Dumfries.

His parents are Joseph Russell and Janet Bissett

again if you IM me I will happily pass on cert.

I looked for marriage of Janet Robson to any Russell but no joy..... and then did the same for Robertson... will come back if I have any luck

Best wishes

Mo

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 16:40 BST (UK) »
Ok have found a marriage of a Robert Russell to a Jessie Robertson.

details are as follows..

Robert Russell sawmiller aged 37 married Jessie Robertson aged 33 on 15 June 1877.

His parents are listed as being John Russell and Jane Russell nee Gardener (I think) you may need the magnifying glass to confirm this

her parents are Peter Robeinson and Catherine Robertson nee Munro

but could not find any joseph.... sorry

Best Wishes

Mo