Author Topic: Valliday or Balladein?  (Read 4593 times)

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Valliday or Balladein?
« on: Tuesday 17 April 07 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
Just hit a really unusual name in hubby's family. ;D
A cousins great grandmother is named as Catherine Valliday who married James McLaughlan. Don't have a date for for them.
Their daughter Mary Mclauchlan born 1888 married James Alexander.
Variations on the surname on scotlands people seem to be -
on the early records -Ballade/ Ballardie/Ballardein
on the more recent records Valliday/Vallady/ Valaitie.

has anyone come across anything like this before?
I searched RC with both spellings and got no joy.
Any idea where a name like that might come from?
Many of them living lanark/renfrew/glasgow area.
 ??? ??? ???
Can anyone help please?
thanks
Revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Valliday or Balladein?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I suspect that the various names you list (or at least some of them) could well have different and/or varied origins - unless you have found definite connexions.

Doesn't Mary's 1888 birth cert list the place and date of her parents' marriage?

If not, perhaps the next thing is to try to find the family in the 1891 census in order to see where Catherine was born.

I note that the IGI lists a Catherine VALLIDAY born 1864 in Omagh, Co Tyrone, parents James VALLIDAY & Catherine HACKETT - a possibility? Those parents also had James 1866, Bridget 1869, Rose 1871, Patrick 1874 and Mary 1876. 

JAP

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP
Thanks for all that - I shall follow that up.
I was looking too late at night for me!
If she was born in Ireland, not surprising I didn't get her on Scotlands people. Got their names from the marriage record on that site, not an actual birth certificate.
Thanks again for all your help.
revmother
England - mainly Leicestershire -Plunkett (and London), Kibby, Springthorpe, Gittins, Bates, Forman, Stevenson, Crofts, Growdridge, Flower, Wigston, Ward , and in Scotland - McLauchlan, Paterson, Aughton, Speirs, McCallum, Gray, Gemmell, Hillhouse, Fredrick etc.......<br />Ayrshire mostly

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again
Thanks - I found the family on IGI,
and Catherine's husband also born in Tyrone, and that gave his parents!.  :D
If I have more questions about this family, it won't be the Scottish board they should be on.
Great to be able to go back another couple of generations 8)
revmother

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 09:33 BST (UK) »
Well, I guess you need to find some census entries and to get some certificates - from SP and from Ireland - in order to make quite sure that you have the right families.

Glad to have been of help.

JAP

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP
where do I look up irish census
revmother

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 09:55 BST (UK) »
Please refer to your question:

Hi JAP,
where do I look up irish census
revmother

I was referring to Scotland censuses.

However, here from a recent post of mine is a quote about Ireland censuses from:
http://www.nli.ie/family_hr.htm
"Why are there no census records available before 1901?
Full government censuses were taken of the whole island in 1821, 1831, 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 1901, and 1911. The first four, for 1821, 1831, 1841, and 1851, were largely destroyed in 1922, in the fire at the Public Record Office (now the National Archives of Ireland). Those for 1861 1871 1881 and 1891 were completely destroyed earlier, by order of the government.

This means that the earliest surviving comprehensive returns are for 1901 and 1911. The normal rule that census returns should not be available to the public for 100 years has been suspended in Ireland."

For Ireland BDM certificates refer:
http://www.groireland.ie/

Thank you,

JAP

Offline revmother2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP
I'm glad that all my family don't come from Ireland (although I think some others may too), it must make it really hard work researching.
I'll have to leave this for now as I must do some work - research is awfully tempting when you work from home ;D
bye for now
and thank you very much for all your help and advice.
revmother

Offline Jadeybo Mccrory

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 June 16 22:03 BST (UK) »
My mum is a valliday 😊 from belfast