Author Topic: Interpreting FreeBMD results  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Interpreting FreeBMD results
« on: Wednesday 01 December 04 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I have found a name/year that looks promising and have clicked on the place in the FreeBMD results that gives me access to the page in the register (I assume) for a marriage. Now normally the page contains multiple names and their order does not match the 'who married whom' pattern. In this case, I have six names, four of which are male (and clearly so) and two are female. How do I match my male ancestor with one of these women (or indeed find the missing partner)? Is this a glitch or a common occurence? I have not experienced it up to now.

Any help or pointers gratefully received.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Interpreting FreeBMD results
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

If as you say 4 are male - are 2 similar?- as sometimes when they can't make out the persons name definitely they put them both down.

I have seen a couple of pages where there have been 3 couples - but again you say 4 males - can you alter slightly one of the males names to a female - again another misread possible.

Try the names on the IGI site although it is not as good for marriages as the BMD - but it might eliminate one couple.

Good luck,

Cheers
Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Freebmd is still being transcribed and is not complete.  They have probably not reached the part of the aphabet which contains the other female's names.  It is only an aid to finding certificate references.

If you think this is your ancestor then the only way to find the correct wife is to send for the certificate.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the swift response. I tried IGI first to see if I could get a match, but the idea of using it to eliminate entries that are not relevant is one I had not had and is an excellent idea.

It's also useful to know that the records are incomplete and as you say, I can get the certificate. I will hold off on that for the time being as I have a lot of certificates to acquire for direct ancestors (I am rationing myself) and my current investigation is related to Carvers who moved to Hull from Norfolk. My gg grandfather did this in the late 1830s and in 1871 census he had a nephew living with him which allowed me to find his (by then deceased) brother who followed him to Hull and my latest investigation is trying to prove that there was another brother whom I suspect of moving similarly.

I suspect a visit to the Hull records office is by far the best way forward as it is not out of the question that there are even more brothers. On IGI, my sixth cousin has found that our ggg grandfather had children in 1812 and 1824, but no evidence of anyting in between. To date I have found two and there is plenty of room for a few more (potentially).
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The standard marriage register format contained space for up to four weddings per page -- i.e. a maximum of four couples (i.e. four men and four women!). So I am sure Sylviann is right -- freeBMD has not yet finished transcribing this quarter of the year.

Just by way of clarification, freeBMD is indeed a work in progress and by its very nature therefore incomplete. However, the records they are transcribing are complete (or as complete as is currently humanly possible). You can consult the full set in book form at the FRC in London, on microfiche or microfilm at various major libraries, or online at www.1837online.com

I would strongly suggest that you look up the entry for the suspected spouse (I'm assuming from your posting that you know her name) and check for a matching reference on www.1837online.com -- that would cost you one unit (between 5p and 10p, depending on how many units you buy), which is cheaper than spending £7 on a marriage certificate that might prove not to be the one you want!

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help. I have the record now. Though curiously Yorkshire BMD has the marriage as being in 1848 and FreeBMD contends that it was September 1849. As there is a reference number on Yorkshire BMD from which I can obtain the certificate, is it reasonable to believe that that is the correct date or should I continue to keep an open mind pending arrival of the certificate?
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 December 04 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Bear in mind that Yorkshire BMD has been transcribed by volunteers the same as FreeBMD.

Definitely keep an open mind!!
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent