Author Topic: schoolmaster in Shevington, nr. Standish  (Read 2499 times)

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
schoolmaster in Shevington, nr. Standish
« on: Thursday 19 April 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know Shevington? I'm afraid that I don't.

I've just discovered that one of my ancestors was a schoolmaster in Shevington. Thomas Gerrard was born 1787 in Astley Lancs but on all the census returns from 1841 to 1871 he's living in Shevington, occ: shcoolmaster.

Shevington seems to be a very small town or rather a big village near Standish. I'm wondering who would go to school there at the beginning of the 19th century?
Will there be records at the Wigan Records Office?

Thanks for any info.

French

Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Lancashire, Wirral, C° Durham, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Berkshire

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
Re: schoolmaster in Shevington, nr. Standish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 April 07 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi French

Genuki refers to the increase of population due to the mines, so probably miner's children.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Shevington/

Apparently there were 2 schools!

It's probably worth asking at the Wigan History shop if they have any information.

Regards
SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 April 07 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for you reply Sandra.

I find it difficult to understand that at the beginning of the 19th century miners children went to school but not many of them learned to read with an X. Unlesss my ancestors were a bit slower than most.

Regards

French
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 April 07 16:06 BST (UK) »
In those days, education had to be paid for by the parents. Many families could not afford to educate all their children; some could not afford to send any of their kids to school.

My paternal great great grandfather was definitely illiterate; his surname appears in a randomised form in the censuses. The first census where my variant of the surname appears is 1901!

His eldest brother, however, could write well enough to be in the police force in 1841 and 1851.

As the number of children grew, the funds available for education must have dried up.

My 3xgreat grandfather was also illiterate; I have found 8 different spellings of his surname, none of which match mine!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrew,
That explains why some of my ancestors could read and write, whilst others were illiterate (in the same family as well). I've been checking and it is mainly the men who were literate.

french

Offline carole22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 December 08 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, do you know where in Shevington he lived? I would guess that he would be the school master at Miles Lane School, which I think still uses the original school building (amongst others).

Carole

Offline LWade

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hello French
You posted this message sometime ago, I hope you still use the site.
I have some info about Thomas Gerrard and the school. Please reply to confirm that you are still interested and perhaps we can swop info?

Offline Leyther

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 June 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I am quite new to family tree research but I do know that Thomas Gerrard the Shevington schoolmaster is my 4 x great grandfather. I would be delighted to share information about this stem of the family and the school if you are interested.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 June 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
I find it difficult to understand that at the beginning of the 19th century miners children went to school but not many of them learned to read with an X. Unlesss my ancestors were a bit slower than most.

They may have attended for a short time for a basic education. Depending on the type of school, amount of fees and funds available, and number of pupils, writing with pen and ink may not have been included in the basic education offered. It might have been an extra for pupils who had learned to read and to write on slates and do arithmetic, and whose parents could afford to keep them at school longer and pay an increased weekly fee to cover cost of paper and ink. Pupils would receive an education appropriate to their "station in life".
Boys at an elementary church school in Preston, Lancs.,  1823  were described as competent in writing on slates but very messy when trying to write on paper.
A report in 1840s into employment of children in mines includes evidence on education. Men in one Scottish mine made a compulsory weekly payment into a school fund. Conditions and educational standards in some of the schools for miners' children were found to be poor in the report. One schoolroom was so overcrowded pupils were unable to sit down. No chance of them learning to write.
I'd been at school for 2 years before I was taught handwriting with pen and ink. School attendance of some children in 19th century didn't last as long as 2 years.
Cowban