Author Topic: Llangystennin Hall or Gloddaeth Hall??  (Read 6309 times)

Offline gwyilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llangystennin Hall or Gloddaeth Hall??
« on: Saturday 21 April 07 00:05 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my Great-grandmother and Great-grandfather.

My grandmother was Annie Williams, Born 5 June 1891, in a house called "Ty Isaf" in Penrhynside, Llandudno Caenarvonshire..(source: Cert. copy of Birth entry).
Her mother's name was Mary Roberts and her father's name Robert Williams, they married on 29 Nov. 1884, at Llandudno Congregational Church ( source: cert. copy of Marriage entry).  Robert Williams aged 22 and lived at "Llangystenin Hall", Llangystenin. His father's name Gabriel.

Mary Roberts aged 21 and lived at Rhos Mill Farm, Gyffin, her father's name Robert.

I have found a Robert Williams on the 1881 Wales Census RG11/5583/33/28; aged 18 and living at Gloddaeth Hall, Not Llangystennin Hall; Could this be it???

I have also found on the same census page, a Robert Roberts aged 26 born in Flintshire, however only 8 years older than Robert Williams .!!

Please am I on the right track or am I completely off the mark?

My thanks to any who wish to take this on.
Robert K. Williams

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Llangystennin Hall or Gloddaeth Hall??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

have you found Mary and Robert in the 1891 and 1901 census?

If so, can you post the details? Armed with this info, it will be easier to track them in the earlier census'.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline gwyilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Dewi,
Yes, I have rec'd since the first posting, a photocopy of 1871 Wales census, RG10/5739/-/20, which I believe is my Robert age 8, complete with family.

On the same enumerator's page 20. I find another Robert Williams, also with a wife named Eleanor.  My family oral history has a Ellen Evans married to Robert Williams, however I think mine is entry No. 95.

I will continue to seek this family in the 1891 and 1901 census, But so many Williams!!! ;D

I would post a copy of the census page and marriage cert. but have no idea how to do it??or if there is a copyright concern in doing so. If you find anything would appreciate very much.

Robert K.

AK

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I have only just seen this, having been absent from Rootschat for a while.

Having lived in this area, I can advise you that Gloddaeth Hall is a separate place entirely from Llangwstenin Hall. Gloddaeth Hall is just outside Llandudno, on the hill above Craig y Don. It was owned by the Mostyn family but for a number of years, has been a boys school.

Llangwstenin Hall is situated near Bryn Pydew and what is called Glan Conwy Corner.  Llangwstenin is a little place with a lovely old church. The lane runs from Glan Conwy Corner to Penrhyn Bay. The Hall is still there and I am not sure what it is used for these days.

Let me know if you want more details.

AK

Offline gwyilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the Information AK,  I was confused as to these two places. As Robert Williams, was resident at Gloddaeth Hall in the 1881 Census.  Later in 1884 on his Marrage certificate he indicated his residence as "Llangystennin Hall, Llangystennin".  I have him again on the 1901 census living in Penrhyn, Llandudno.
Which I assume is Penrhynside, I spent my childhood in Penrhynside and remember the dwelling there,but little else
Thanks once again.
Robert Keith Williams

Offline kimhughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 October 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
Penrhyn in Llandudno is probably Penrhyn Old Hall which used to be a farm
Hazell, Bitton, Perry, Webb

Offline gwyilliams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:*** Completed***
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 March 08 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Please Complete this topic, Thanks to everyone.