Author Topic: Warren-Wetnall-Buckley 1700's  (Read 13082 times)

Offline Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warren-Wetnall-Buckley 1700's
« on: Saturday 28 April 07 08:53 BST (UK) »
In the 1800’s my great-great-grandfather, Charles Massey, squashed his family history into half a page.  In so doing he left out several names, dates and places, and got others wrong! ! ! !  So, I am trying to pick up the pieces!  If anyone can shed any light on the following I would be so grateful:

(Approximately mid-1700’s)
“My Mother’s grandfather on the mother’s side was Mr Richard Warren, next heir at law to the property of Sir John Warren.  He married a Miss Wetnall of the Cheshire family – Sir John Warren’s sister married Lord Buckley.
Mr Richard Warren, next heir, and related to Sir John Warren, ran away with his wife when a girl, from a Boarding School, and marrying contrary to the wishes of  Sir John Warren, he would not leave him the property, on account of his marrying beneath himself, although she was of excellent family in Cheshire.”

(Background)
Charles Massey’s mother was Elizabeth Morris, and her mother was Elizabeth Warren (daughter of the above Richard), who married Thomas Morris of Ribbesford, Worcs at St Peter Cornhill, London in March 1782.  They had two sons and Elizabeth, and then Thomas died. His widow married Robert Meek, and had three more sons. I don’t have birth and death dates or places for Elizabeth Warren/Morris/Meek

Thank you to anyone who can help me,
Alpha.

Searching for:
Cooke: Dublin, London & Madras
Felton: Cowbridge, Glamorgan
Fox: Chatham & Rochester, Kent
Hobbs: Hambleden, Bucks
Massey: Hodnet, Shropshire
Murray: Taunton, Somerset
Partridge: Lapford & Nymet Rowland, Devon
and the elusive Anthony Andrew Thornton

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Warren-Wetnall-Buckley 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 07 14:16 BST (UK) »
Alpha, this probably isn't too helpful, but there are some online references to the Warrens of Poynton who were baronets - I can't see a Sir John in the references, but in case they tie up here goes
http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/history/old-families6a.html
http://www.poyntonweb.co.uk/visitorscentre/poynton_family_history.htm
and a link for the 1580 visitation on Cheshire
http://www.scfhs.org.uk/scfhs/visitations/BookVC1580/c001.htm

Offline Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 11:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help, mshrsh. It was more helpful than you realised as the Cheshire visitations website put me on to more possible ancestors. And now I know that Miss Warren married Lord Bulkley, not Buckley. I will have to do some more investigations tomorrow (Thursday New Zealand time) to see if I can find out if those Warrens are also "mine", or just one of gt-gt-grandfather's red herrings.

Cheers,
Alpha

Searching for:
Cooke: Dublin, London & Madras
Felton: Cowbridge, Glamorgan
Fox: Chatham & Rochester, Kent
Hobbs: Hambleden, Bucks
Massey: Hodnet, Shropshire
Murray: Taunton, Somerset
Partridge: Lapford & Nymet Rowland, Devon
and the elusive Anthony Andrew Thornton

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
Alpha - glad you found it of use.

Offline abbey road

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 May 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir,
I am currently researching my family tree of the Partridges of Nymet Rowland and Lapford,and i noticed you are looking for them too.
What branch are you looking at?
Regards

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 May 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hiya Alpha....The reason you can`t find her is because she wasn`t christened ELIZABETH
 www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb the Cheshire Parish Records Database site

BETTY Warren babtised 29th february 1756  in the Parish town of Poynton
father Richard Warren
Mother Susannah
abode Worth
occ Husbandman
so she was christened BETTY....Not Elizabeth.......I presume this is your Elizabeth Warren ??...if not , apologies..if it is here`s Richards marriage
Richard Warren to Susannah Comb 9th October 1752 in Prestbury , Cheshire ...extracted record
Fingers crossed I am right...bright red face if I`m wrong ...lol :-[

allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 May 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
I think there was some wishful thinking going on. When you put forward the correct spelling  Bulkeley, that is the clue as far as I'm concerned. In Earwaker
(available on line?)the pedigree gives "Elizabeth Harriet Warren(only daughter and heiress) born April 7 1759. Marr at St George's, Hanover Square, London. 26 April 1777. Died 23 Feb., 1826 at Englefield Green, co Berks"
So she was the only daughter of "Sir George Warren of Poynton and Stockport, Knight of the Bath, so created 26 May, 1761. Born c. 1733. M.P. for Lancaster. Died 31 Aug., 1801 at (sic) 67. Bur. at Stockport.
Elizabeth Harriet Warren married; "Thomas James Bulkeley, Seventh Viscount Bulkeley. Born 12 De., 1752. By Royal Licence, 20 Sept 1802.  Both he and his wife took the name Warren before that of Bulkeley. Died suddenely, 3 June 1822, SP.
Look up the Warren Bulkeley Charity - still administered here in Poynton. Also try Dr Craig Thornber's  website. Try appropriate section in 'Poynton - A Coalmining Village.

Offline Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 June 10 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Abbey Road
   My Partridge ancestors are:

Roger Partridge d. 1782 m Tryphena Kelland
bought Nymet Rowland Barton in 1757

James Partridge 1741-1805 m Susannah Wreford c 1748-1799
Chn: James (Nymet Rowland willed to him)   John   (see below) Roger   William   Ann   Susannah   Tryphena   Samuel   Silvanus

John Partridge (see above) 1766-1853 m Susannah Moon 1771 - 1853/4
Chn: James   Frances   John   Silvanus (see below) 1805-1874, inherited Nymet Rowland,  Maria   Fanny

Silvanus Partridge (see above) m Elizabeth Mortimer 1806-1867
Chn: John (inherited Nymet Rowland)   Silvanus (emigrated to NZ)   Louisa   James (died in train accident with his mother)   William 1846-1888 m Katherine Massey and emigrated to NZ (honeymoon voyage).

If any of these tie in with your family please pm me.

Elizabeth G.

Offline Alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 June 10 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you kimhulme.  Yes, i quickly realised that the Warren Bulkleys were not mine, but they were interesting to read about.  My Elizabeth Warren's ancestry remains a mystery.

Elizabeth G