Author Topic: MADGETT Family  (Read 14841 times)

Offline GDean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MADGETT Family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I just found  in my office a copy of the family tree and I have no details which match yours... other then the john madgetrt and the Elizabeth Gibbon which I am now in doubt are related to me...though they are all from the same area so must link up somehow. it seems your dates sit between my generations. I don't have a William born in 1862 (1843, died 1843 and 1856 who married a Sarah SKinner) so I too am very confused. As pointed out there seems to be sevral madgett families at the same time.

What is the link between your George and Elizabeth Gibbon/John Madgett?
I have that Elizabeth Gibbon/John Madget had 8 children, one was Goerge Madgett (1791) m. Phobe Cobb (1800ish) who had  William (1820). Now there is confusion if this William married a Elizabeth Meen (which case they are not related to me) or if this William married a Ann Swootman and had 10 children. I am pretty sure that I am the William from Cobb married Ann Swootman as I got this information from the Madgett family that still run the bike shop in Diss...but I am happy for evidence to prove otherwise.

Do have a membership to any of the census sites? I do so let me know if you need anything looked up!

I know that I have fund out a bit more since I printed this family tree so I will check tonight.

Gill

Offline Janetmb52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill,
Thank you for replying back to me. The information that I have found is John Madget who was born 1814 in England and died in Ontario 1904 was married to Harriet Madget. I cannot find any information on Harriet.  John's parents were Stephen Madget born 1783 and died 1874 was married to Anne Fuller born 1815 and died 1885. I still don't know if I'm following the right line. I can only go by John and Harriet Madget as they were noted on William's marriage certificate to Sarah Catharine Duck.
I have noticed the Madget families like to use the same first names and that is what confusing me if I have the right person. I am part of Ancestry website in Canada. I can go on the one for England but I cannot open them as my subscription doesn't allow me to do this.
That is where I stand right now.

Offline GDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have all the people you mentioned on my database, Stephen Madget was the brother of George Madgett which is my line. In all there were 8 children.
There is some debate on who their parents were as there is a John Madgett who married a Elizabeth Gibbon and had a George born in 1971 (and you will see from this trail of emails that this George is thought to have married an Elizabeth Meen) but there is also a census entry in 1841 which has a George Madgett also born in 1971 living with a older generation of George madgett and Phoebe Madgett. I am certain that I am from a George Madgett who married a Phoebe but I don't know who these other people in the household are as no one on my tree currently meets has these names with the stated birth dates, but they could be uncle/aunty. I am currently trying to track down information on John and Elizabeth to try and sort out the two families. I will let you know how I go!

As for your John who married Harriet, he was born in 1814, I have him baptised on the 4th Feb 1816 in Wortham Suffolk. His father Stephen was born the 3rd child 8 in 1783 in Thrandeston, Suffolk and married Ann Fuller on the 6th Jan 1807 by the Minister George Betts in the presence of Martha Nunn and Robert Madgett (another brother). In the notes I am reading I have no other detail on Harriet but I will dig through all the paper notes to see if I can find more. I also have all access to the UK records so I will see what I find there.

Where about in Ontario are you? My best friend lives in Ottawa. I am in Canberra Australia so it is nice to see we have made it to many places around the world! There is a large group of midgets in New Zealand too but I am get to work out how they link in.

Keep in touch

Gill

Offline Janetmb52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill,
I am in Mississauga which is west of Toronto.  I have lived here all my life. I know there are two areas the Madgett family resided. They are Peel and York(suburb of Toronto). My side resided in the York area.
What I can tell you about George Madget born 1791 and died 1849 was married to Phoebe Cobb who was born 179 and died 1887. I'm guessing they had a son named William who was born in Diss,Norfolk 1821 and died in the same area in 1902.
It looks to me the families in Peel and the families in the York area do have ties. I'm just trying to guess how that tie began, if that makes sense.
I will keep searching.

Offline Janetmb52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill,
I did some more searching and I found this information. I'm not sure if you have it.

Father
George Madget (1791-1849)

Mother
Phoebe Cobb (1799-1887)

Spouse
Ann Swootman (1821-1902)
Married 1877

Children
Mary Ann (1847-1891)
Timothy (1848-)
William (1857-)
Phoebe (1858-)
George (1860-1933)
Frederick (1863

Offline GDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 March 12 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a far bit of of information from the Madgetts still in Diss regarding the 8 children (from either John/Elizabeth or George/Rebecca) down so i will put that in a document for you and email it to you. Do you have an email address? mine is *

In the mean time, I have cut and pasted abit which compliments you last email.

Gill

WILLIAM MADGETT (father GEORGE) was born Bef. 10 July 1820 in Diss, Norfolk, England and died 4 April 1902.  He married ANN SWOOTMAN 1841 in Diss, daughter of WILLIAM SWOOTMAN and MARY.

WILLIAM MADGETT:
Age on headstone: 1902, given as "Aged 81  years"
Census: 1881, Mount St. Diss (aged 60)
Interred: 1902, Diss cemetery, N. side.

More About ANN SWOOTMAN:
Age on headstone: 1902, given as 81 years
Interred: 1902, Diss Cemetery, N. side.

Children of WILLIAM MADGETT and ANN SWOOTMAN are:
WILLIAM MADGETT, b. 1843, Diss, Norfolk, England; d. 1843, Diss, Norfolk, England.
MARY ANN MADGETT, b. 1845, Diss, Norfolk, England; d. Aft. 1929.
TIMOTHY MADGETT, b. 1848, Diss, Norfolk, England; d. Aft. 1929.
PHOEBE MADGETT, b. 1850, Diss, Norfolk, England; d. Bef. 1858.
REBECCA MADGETT, b. Abt. 1852, Diss, Norfolk, England; d. Unknown.Census: 1881, (not found)
SWOOTMAN MADGETT, b. 1854, Diss, Norfolk, England (1881 Census - aged 27); d. Unknown.
WILLIAM MADGETT, b. 28 September 1856, Diss, Norfolk, England (Birth Cert.); d. 20 December 1933.
PHOEBE MADGETT, b. 1858, Diss, Norfolk, England; d. Unknown.
GEORGE MADGETT, b. 1860, Diss, Norfolk, England; d. 1934, Norfolk.
FREDERICK MADGETT, b. 1863, Diss, Norfolk, England; d. 1952, Roydon, Diss, Norfolk?.

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline GDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 March 12 22:39 GMT (UK) »
PS. I have had no luck in tracking down any details on John and Harriet but I will keep looking!
G

Offline GDean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane!
Are you still researching the Madgett's? any new leads????
Gill

Offline Janetmb52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,
It has been a long time since we had contact with each other. I have been working on my family tree (Madgett family) included. It might be better if we correspond through email? Let me know your thoughts.
Michele (Ontario, Canada)