Author Topic: Tamlaght O'Crilly Parish Margey Lookup  (Read 12152 times)

Offline DoireM

• RootsChat Senior
  • Spero In Deo
    • View Profile
Re: Tamlaght O'Crilly Parish Margey Lookup
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
Do you have any connections to Margey's from the Inishowen area Co. Donegal?
Crowley : Kilmaley Parish, Co. Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
Bradley: Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
McCallion:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal. Ireland
Margey/Margay:  Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal, Ireland
Donnellan / Donlan:  Carhunagry, Co. Clare
Sullivan: Clare / Cook County, Chicago, Illinois
James:  Derry/ Donegal / Wales.
Haren / Harhen:  Co. Clare, Ireland
Murphy: Kinturk, Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
Friel:  Aught, Ture. Iskaheen Parish, Co. Donegal.
Cassidy:  Limavady, Co. Derry.

Offline Yeswave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
I have discovered that Lawrence Margey and Rose Bradley where my Great Grandparents. Hopefully you check this message. I'd love to exchange emails.

Thanks, Peter.

hi aem49 -
Pleased to meet you, thanks for your message.  Patrick Margey was a my gggrandfather.  I am descended from Lawrence Margey and Rose Bradley.  I would love to discuss this further with you, information from here is so elusive.  Best, Susan

Offline madmargey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 00:36 BST (UK) »
well hello there, 4got i'd signed up in here. Anyhoo i'd be a Margey and ive heard the name Lawerence bandied about once and a while. 

Offline Yeswave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 April 12 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,
they are also my g.grandparents. Their daughter Ellen, my grandmother moved to Scotland, where I am now. My grandmother passed away some time ago and had given up my mother for adoption very early, so although this wasn't a secret, we never got to know any Irish family,so you would be the first!
Thanks,
Peter.

Offline Bladerunner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Peter
Laurence and rose Margey are my great grandparents also. My Dad was Joe Margey, son of Ellen. I know Ellen moved to Scotland and ended up in Helensburgh married to a guy called Finnigan,can't remeber his first name. My Dad only discovered Ellen was his Mum in his twenties having been brought up practically from birth by Laurence and Rose (that's the way it was then !)..he grew up with his uncle Mick and Aunt Maggie in a farmhouse in Swatragh/ Kilrea ..my Dad died some years ago. He got news late in life that he had a half sister called Susan I think. She married a bookie from Airdire called Pat Higgins. She has also passed away...hope this is of interest to you. Regards Joe

Offline virgilia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace my grandfathers sisters who went to new york/ philadelphia in early 1900s and found one of his sisters on the 1940 census living with a cousin sarah smith married to joseph smith from florida with a son edward. The lady I was trying to trace who was living with them was ellen rogers nee o'kane who was home here in garvagh in 1968 ish and always went to visit the margey s in ballynian swatragh. Would you know of either of these connections.

Offline lizewing2015

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 November 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am Liz my great grandmother was also Ellen Margey. The Ellen Margey I am related she had a son in 1923 called John McGuinness and a daughter born 1926 Annie McGuinness their father was John McGuinness. I wonder if this is the same Ellen Margey. I do remember that the family where in Scotland but other than that I stumped.

Kind Regards

Liz Ewing

Offline Scottie4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi i am trying to trace my great grandmothers family. Her name was Anne Margey(also known as Nancy). She passed away in Airdrie, scotland in 1887 aged 35.

Her parents were Lawrence Margey and Emily Crawley.

She was married to my great grandfather John McQuillan who also passed away here in scotland in 1932.  I believe he came from keady or bellaghy, baptised in 1854 in Maghera & killylough.

I am struggling to find/trace the Margey family. Any help /information would be appreciated.

Thank you

Annette

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Annette,

John McQuillan & Ann married 12.12.1877. He lived in Keady. His father was Michael, a farmer (who appears to have been alive at that date). Ann lived in Ballynian. Her father was Laurence, another farmer, and he was dead in 1877.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11146/8082613.pdf

Griffiths Valuation (1858) lists Emily Margy in Ballynian. She had plots 27 & 28 which were just over 15 acres. That she was named rather than her husband, indicates he was dead by that year. I also note Crilly & O’Crilly households in the townland. So I’d guess that was her maiden name (rather than Crawley as evidently appears on the Scottish documentation). The O’ & Mc prefixes on Irish names were detachable and used or dropped at whim. Emily’s farm in Ballynian today is on the Killygulib Rd, just east of Swatragh. Emily looks to have died on 19.11.1866 aged 55.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

Keady (in the parish of Maghera) is the next townland south from Ballynian. So John more or less married the girl next door. Griffiths lists Michael McQuillan senior & junior farming plots 5 & 6 in Keady. You can see where those properties are today using the maps on the Griffiths site.

Probate abstracts:

The Will of Michael M'Quillen otherwise M'Quillion late of Keady County Londonderry Farmer who died 12 January 1893 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Henry Mathews of Culnagrew in said County Farmer one of the Executors.

The above will is on-line on the PRONI will website.

Probate of the Will of Patrick Margey late of Ballynian County Londonderry Farmer who died 24 July 1910 granted at Londonderry to Laurence Margey Farmer.

This looks  likely to be your Margey family in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Grove/Ballynian/1521685/

1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/The_Grove/Ballynian/595319

Elwyn