Author Topic: Court Appearances  (Read 2130 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Court Appearances
« on: Monday 14 May 07 20:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where / how i can come by records of court appearances?  ???I am trying to find the legal separation order issued to my great grandmother and her husband after WW2 this wouldn't have been in the Crown Court more probably in the Magistrates Court.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Court Appearances
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
I would think that the first place to try would be the appropriate County Record Office; I believe that they are likely to hold the Magistrates Court's records. Even if they don't have them I would think that they would be able to tell you where they are held.

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 07 22:28 BST (UK) »
You don't even have to go to court to get a legal separation you can just draw up a document with the help of a solicitor.  See

http://www.clsdirect.org.uk/legalhelp/leaflet03.jsp?section=3&lang=en

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 08:44 BST (UK) »
If it's any help, if it was an acrimonious separation it's possible that there was a notice in a local paper, for example along the lines of:

John Smith of My Street, Anytown, will no longer be responsible for the debts of his wife Jane Smith, now residing ...

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working