Author Topic: Smith/Tomlinson families?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Renee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Smith/Tomlinson families?
« on: Saturday 04 December 04 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Am searching for information about this family:
William Tomlinson DOB abt. 1800
wife: Mary Smith DOB abt. 1801
Children:
Isabella DOB January 2,1825
William DOB April 17,1826
Frederick William DOB June 7,1829
James DOB January 27,1833
Mary Ann DOB April 20,1834.

Thank you ---- Renee :)
Searching for:
Manners,Ferguson,Hamilton,Sanderson,Wheat,Smith,Tomlinson,Crum,Corse or Croess
Areas of interest: Scotland and England and Ireland

skippy

Re: Smith/Tomlinson families?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 December 04 02:05 GMT (UK) »
What area of Lancs were your folks born in?
If you have a specific location and or address then that will help anyone willing to do a look up.

Have you checked out 'Family History' site accessable through google to see whether any 1881 census details and/or IGI are available online. 

You can confirm some birth dates via 2 sites.....FreeBMD/Local BMD   ......both sites rely on volunteers transcribing records..................and access is free.....but records are not as yet complete. 

1837.com is a pay per view site (abt GBP 0.10p to view a page) and lists all recorded UK BMD's from 1837 onwards.
Its an option that could work out to be quite expensive if conducting a blanket search over a number of years.
If you know roundabout date/people then it may be worthwhile proceeding
as this will highlite records and enable you to cross reference details...and obtain a birth, marriage or death cert.
Checkout the freebie sites first though.

Another option is to contact the local council who have lots of stored info....Bigger cities may not  be as acccommodating as smaller councils.

A further option is to contact the local Family History Society.......These local societys publish booklets, census records and other info which may help with your research

Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Skippy.

Offline Renee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Smith/Tomlinson families?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 December 04 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Skippy,
Thanks for your reply. All I have for Lancashire is 2 christenings at the Manchester Cathedral. I have posted these on Rootschat with no luck. I suspect that there may be relatives of this family there, and hoped that by posting the names, I might get lucky and learn more. Unfortunately this family left England in 1834 or 1835, so later dates  would not apply.

Thank you for the suggestions---- Renee  :)
Searching for:
Manners,Ferguson,Hamilton,Sanderson,Wheat,Smith,Tomlinson,Crum,Corse or Croess
Areas of interest: Scotland and England and Ireland