Author Topic: Topic merged HARRIS - Kent to Natal 1850 Wesleyans on King William  (Read 4361 times)

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Topic merged HARRIS - Kent to Natal 1850 Wesleyans on King William
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 April 16 05:28 BST (UK) »
There is no doubt that Jonathan Harris was initially in Natal before coming to Australia.

In Australia he was a prominent teacher, as was his brother Thomas and daughter Sarah. The research into Verulam was originally conducted by Phyllis, nee Harris, who is now getting on in years. Jonathan settling 'on cotton or coast lands' at Verulam was researched in South Africa by Cynthia Goldstone.

Phyllis told me that family memory recalled that, in Natal, Jonathan was tutor to the governor of Natal's children. I have had no luck in researching the link to the Governor of Natal.

Phyllis inherited some objects passed down in the family from Jonathan's time in Natal that were distinctly native-carved.

Passengers with no connection with the Wesleyan Society were generally settled at Richmond and Byrne on the Illovo.  However, Jonathan and Maria were allocated 90 Acres on ‘cotton or coast lands’ .  They established their home at Durban, and joined up with the few devout Methodists who were there.

In recent years I have since confirmed that two of their children were born in Natal before coming to Australia.

. Thomas, was born at Durban on 19 March 1851, but his baptism is not listed in the Pietermaritzburg or Durban Wesleyan circuit records.

. Sarah Maria was born at Lidgetton, Port Natal on 23 April 1853 and baptised by Rev J Thomas, of the Pietermaritzburg Wesleyan Circuit, on 26 June 1853. Pietermaritzburg became a city that same year.

For more detail on their lives subsequent to arriving in Australia I have attached a detailed story in Ancestry to Jonathan Harris and Maria Blackwell.

David

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 April 16 05:47 BST (UK) »
Newspaper article entitled:

"Mrs Jonathan Harris a pioneer of Southern Queensland who celebrated her 97th birthday on May 15"

Contains the following:

"She was born in Bristol England on May 13 1828. She later resided with the family in Bath, till her marriage with Mr Jonathan Harris in 1849. Shortly after this event the young couple left their native land for South Africa, arriving there later in the same year. A resident of over five years during which period he saw a considerable portion of the Kaffir's land and travelled mostly by Dutch waggon or on horseback, proved sufficient, and, deciding to try their fortunes in Australia, they sailed in a small schooner for Sydney, where they arrived in 1855"

David

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 April 16 05:54 BST (UK) »
Great to find that detail  :) Well done David. The fact that they sailed to Aus in a small ship should prevent you from searching for passenger lists there.
Best Wishes, Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 April 16 06:04 BST (UK) »
Yes that is so; but it is known that he had an older brother already in the colony, a William Gilbert Harris, who was first to arrive in Australia before 1853. William was born 27 September 1821 and baptised on 5 December 1821 and was living in Redfern in 1856.  He was married 9 April 1852 to Elizabeth Austin (or Lees), a widow, and had two daughters, one was Martha who was born on 1 June 1853 in Sydney.

Jonathan also had another older brother Thomas, born in Hythe Kent in 1824, who, at the age of 31 with his wife Emma (nee Bailey), aged 32, arrived after Jonathan and Maria on the “Cressy” on 12 January 1856.

regards
David 

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 April 16 08:15 BST (UK) »
Found it I think:

Unassisted Passengers arriving Melbourne per "America":

Surname  Given Name  Age  Year Month Ship Port Fiche 20 Page 1
HARRIS   ---- CHILD WITH  Age  2 1854  JAN  per AMERICA
HARRIS   ---- INFANT WITH Age  0 1854  JAN      AMERICA
HARRIS   ---- MR          age 25 1854  JAN      AMERICA
HARRIS   ---- MRS         age 21 1854  JAN      AMERICA

http://www.tools.prov.vic.gov.au/UnAssisted2.asp
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search_results.asp

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 April 16 08:42 BST (UK) »
My apologies for this - and I can't add to your Harris story.

The King William - 1849/50 - was not the first vessel to convey Wesleyans to South Africa.

From a picture I have, painted by Joseph Walter - 1783-1856

"he ship Triton.  119 tons, James Beatty, Master, purchased and fitted out AD1839 for the Wesleyan Missionary Society [Ca 1840]

A broadside view of the brigantine missionary ship Triton at sea, with land in the background and flying a flag on the foremast reading ‘Glory to God in the highest’ with further writing on the flag atop the rear mast.  Beneath are two annotated plans of the ship, one a plan view of the deck and cabins, and a cross-section view.  From http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/detail/?id=41696 - Collection of the Alexander Turnbull Library"

A member of my family, James Archbell, with his wife and 6 children returned to South Africa aboard this ship, together with his future son-in-law, John Whittle Appleyard and a number of Missionaries bound for other destinations en route to New Zealand.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY