Author Topic: Tedfords Donaghadee/Belfast  (Read 9850 times)

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tedfords Donaghadee/Belfast
« on: Sunday 20 May 07 21:07 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Tedford connection from Ballyhackamore/Strandtown and have a hunch that they might be related  in some way to James Tedford Ship Chandlers, who I know originated in Donaghadee before moving to Belfast.  Am desperate to find someone who has some info on them so that I know which route to take.  Anyone any Tedford links?  ???

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Tedfords Donaghadee/Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hiya mandrake,

I've posted links to your threads. These should simplify matters for other members who may be able to assist in the search. It's easy enough to post an answer on one thread only to come across another thread related to the same query which has no reply. I've done this myself on more than a few occasions and have wondered .. "Hey, what's going on here? I'm sure I've already posted a reply to this somewhere."

Bellevue, Ballymacarrett
William Wilson Ballyhackamore
Churches Ballyhackamore

Ros Davies' Co. Down Ireland Genealogy Research Site shows three people named Tedford in Donaghadee. 

1843  Robert ... merchant and shipowner
1846) Mary ... grocer at New Street
1852)
Capt James ... father of David Lowry Tedford who d. 21 Sep 1838 aged 2; buried Killinchy graveyard ... there may be a Killinchy connection. Donaghadee to Killinchy was a reasonable distance to travel to bury a person in 1838.

Chris 

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris for info and for tidying up my posts!   ;)

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hiya mandrake,

I've spotted a wife and two boys for a James Tedford. It's on Ros Davies Co. Down, Ireland, Genealogy research site ... Arabella Susanna Hetherington, [/url] Knockbreda regt. Ballymacarrett; wife of James Tedford; mother of David b. 1868 & William b. 1869

Chris

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris! I'm trying to build up a tree of all the Tedfords in the vain hope that one day I might make the connection (if it exists!). I really appreciate your help!  ;D

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 09:23 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you've seen this one Mandy.

The BBC YP&M History from Headstones page mentions James Tedford's grave in Donaghadee. The question that springs to my mind is why is his son buried in Killinchy and he's buried in Donaghadee. Maybe his wife came from Killinchy ... we need to find her name and where she's buried.

At the rear door of the church is found the grave of James Tedford, famous for his dockside chandlery in Belfast. Tedford actually began his business as a sea Captain in Donaghadee in the 1830s, expanding in 1851 into the Belfast premises.

James would have been born in either the late 1700s or early 1800s. We don't know how many children were in his family so can't put a precise date on his marriage although David's death in 1838 gives us a rough guide.

Chris

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 09:33 BST (UK) »
I see his son was David LOWRY Tedford. I also have a Wills extract for a Margaret LOWRY Tedford (spinster) who died in 1900 and left her money (£427.18s) to William FCS Corry and his wife Jane (nee Tedford) - a sister perhaps? James Tedford himself left £6,416 when he died in 1893 - some money in those days! The executor was a James Tedford (son perhaps?) I suppose its almost a cert that James Tedford's wife was a Lowry. The plot thickens!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mandy,

You're right. James Tedford must have married a Lowry.
You've got me interested. Who was William F. C. S. Corry ???

I've been wondering about the burial in Killinchy. The railway didn't reach Donaghadee until 1861 which means taking the child's by boat to a point near Killinchy and then using a horse and cart or going from Donaghadee
to Killinchy by horse and cart. 

Chris

Offline mandrake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 07 09:55 BST (UK) »
The will states Wm Corry was an 'Aerated Water Manufacturer'. It also states that James Tedford was living in Wellington Park when he died and Margaret Lowry Tedford was formerly of Chatsworth, Malone Road and late of Glenbrook, Bangor. Your input on the Co Down geography is interesting - I dont know that part of the country well at all - I'm Co Antrim born and bred! Just for the record, my mum (daughter of Sarah Tedford who is a daughter of the William Tedford posting establishment Strandtown) says that when she was young she remembers her mother telling her that the Tedford Ship Chandlers were related but I have to take this lightly as it may have been wishful thinking!!