Author Topic: AN(T)(C)LIFF(E)  (Read 3243 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
AN(T)(C)LIFF(E)
« on: Thursday 31 May 07 14:01 BST (UK) »
My Family of Antcliffes come from the North Notts area. I have them at the earliest in Laneham in 1660. They gradually over the next 400 years move through Kneesall, East Markham, Bathley, Muskham ,Caunton and Newark, with one branch slipping off to Leicester, another ending up in Australia. My problem is connecting up all the seperate branches that have been in touch with me. I would think with it being a fairly unusual name and all seemingly from this small area we must be connected somewhere down the line. Anyone researching the Gringly on the Hill bunch.? Or the family from Ossington, I also have NO Josephs in my tree but one branch uses this name continually. Any help at all gratefully received. Even if you have the name in your tree and think there is no connection to me and mine please get in touch anyway!
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: AN(T)(C)LIFF(E)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 08 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

A Joseph AN(T)CLIFF(E) has cropped up in my tree.  His daughter Eliza married my husband's 3x Gr Uncle so quite a distant connection.  Anyway he may be of interest.

From IGI and census info he was baptised in Long Bennington, Lincolnshire on 25 Jun 1837 son of Joseph Antcliffe and Elizabeth.  He had an older sister Ellen (1835).

He married Jane POTTER from Sheriff Hutton, Yorkshire in 1860 and on later census returns was living in Strensall, Yorkshire.  There is a likely death entry for him in 1897 in the York Registration District.

I may be able to find out more if it would be helpful.

All the best

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 08 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes thankyou I have come across this branch, sadly cannot make the connection to myself at this moment. I have only 2 Josephs in my branch and these both died under 2 years old. I believe the mother of Joseph was Elizabeth White. Thankyou for the reply though.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline bagpuss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 08 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Larkspur,

I have a link by marriage to the Antcliff family, my Wilson rellie - Mary, married William Antcliff (born 1819, Clarborough, Notts) in Stapenhill, Derbyshire in 1841.

Children -
1842 William - Stapenhill, Derbys
1844 Jane - Stanton, Derbys
1847 Emma - Wooley Hill, Lancashire
1849 Elizabeth - Gringley, Notts
1852 Thomas Wilson - Gringley, Notts
1854 Frederick - Gringley, Notts
1859 Arthur - Gringley, Notts

They are only an off-shoot on my tree but hopefully still of interest to you.

Regards
Sue    :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wilson - Coleorton Leicesershire/ Swadlincote Derbyshire.
Bundy - Ross Herefordshire/ Birmingham
Dugdale - Isle of Man

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 08 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for that one, Not on my tree though- at the moment, I am wondering if they are the Gringly on the Hill branch though with some of them born there?

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 June 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
I cannot modify my first message for some reason??
 My earliest spotting of my branch of Antcliffe is now with a marriage in East Markham 1610. Between Robert A and Alice Barnwell. Ellis,(1618-1679) the son of Robert moving to Edwinstowe with his wife .Thomas(1616-1668) staying in E M with his wife Kathrine Carr, they being my 8x Greats. robert and Alice also had an Edward born 1611 in EM. I cannot find him or a death or marriage for him--is HE my missing link???