Author Topic: Trying to solve a mystery - any thoughts?  (Read 8244 times)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
Trying to solve a mystery - any thoughts?
« on: Tuesday 05 June 07 20:08 BST (UK) »
I have posted before about Sarah Johnson but have since come up with some ideas which would appreciate your comments on.

Sarah Johnson married in 1873 aged 17 to James Clay in parish of St Paul, Burslem, Staffs. Her father is John Johnson, boatman. 

Sarah is down in the census once married as living in c81: born Tunstall 1857 occup Potter , in c91: Weston 1857 , c1901 born Stone 1858 (widow).

There is a Sarah in the c61 aged 5 living with John and Sarah but he is a blacksmith - could John have gone from blacksmith to boatman?  She is down as being born in Bilston.  The other thing in that census is that she has a brother called Ambrose, which I think is an unusual name.  One of Sarah and James Clay's children is also called Ambrose which seems a big coincidence.

Anyone got any thoughts on the above?!

Joanna
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to solve a mystery - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 20:43 BST (UK) »
Joanna,

I agree that the name Ambrose could point to a connection.

The LDS IGI at www.familysearch.org has a Sarah Johnson, daughter of John and Sarah Johnson, who was christened 25 July 1858 in Weston upon Trent, Stafford.

I don't know which registration district that was in but perhaps you could check the 1858 births on FreeBMD and figure it out and then order the birth record (if you think it might be her).

But that would make her three in 1861 instead of five.

I can't see a corresponding baptism for Ambrose but I might not be searching properly on the LDS site.

This could mean that I've found the wrong girl. 

Have you got Sarah in 1871?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Josephine

I had ordered two or three birth certs for a Sarah Johnson but they were not with John as a father.

I don't have a census for 71.  Someone did make the comment that perhaps if her father was a boatman, they may not have always been registered. And in the 61 that I have he is down as a blacksmith so that could be wrong except for this name, Ambrose .

Joanna

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 22:31 BST (UK) »
I think the 1861 John JOHNSON is also on the 1871 census in Bilston as a blacksmith with new wife Margaret - oldest children Sarah (14) and William (12) (both born Bilston) are pretty good matches.  (Ambrose Johnson isn't with his family in 1871.)

On the 1871 census, John gives his birthplace as Cheshire, but in 1881 (still a blacksmith in Bilston) he reverts to Wem, Shropshire  ::)

So although the name Ambrose might suggest a connection, this John seems to have the wrong occupation.   ???

Rambler

1871: RG10; Piece: 2952; Folio: 103; Page: 2
1881: RG11; Piece: 2815; Folio: 132; Page: 28
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 22:40 BST (UK) »
Do you think this might be her - looking on multimap all these places are are the Trent & Mersey canal, so might fit in with John being a boatman.  But is Trent Vale anywhere near all the places Sarah had down as hailing from.

1861Piece: RG9/1914 Place: Trentham -Staffordshire Enumeration District: 8
Civil Parish: Hanford Ecclesiastical Parish: Hanford
Folio: 146 Page: 18 Schedule: 92
Address: 18 Hanford
JOHNSON    John    Ag Lab      33    Staffordshire - Trent Vale
JOHNSON     Sarah    M    28    Staffordshire - Penkhull
JOHNSON    Sarah A    Dau    3    Staffordshire - Trent Vale
JOHNSON    Elizabeth    Dau    2    Staffordshire - Hanford

I don't have access to any of the census these are what I copied when I had a free trial on ancestry, so haven't got them in later census.

Joanna

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 23:02 BST (UK) »
I looked at this family in 1871:

RG10; Piece: 2853; Folio: 57; Page: 34
122 (?)Hob Lane, Burslem

Harriet Lockett - Head - Wid - 79 - formerly Potter - Beddall
John Lockett - Son - 43 - Labourer - Burslem
Daniel Johnson - Grandson - 19 - Potter - Burslem
Sarah Johnson - Grandau - 15 - Potter - Burslem

Sarah's occupation matches the 1881 census after her marriage, and she was married in Burslem - no proof that her father was called John, though!

I haven't found Sarah and Daniel in 1861 yet - they aren't with Harriett.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 June 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
I've got to run out the door but here's a question for anyone with access to the census:

If you do separate searches on John Johnson (soundex), with occupation:  boatman, bargeman and boat, you will get some hits.  Do any of these match up with the earlier John Johnsons with daughters named Sarah?

Can you work backwards to get to them?

I would try but I've got to go out.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 00:00 BST (UK) »
Manchester Rambler

Just found a marriage in 1850 in Burslem but it was James Johnson to a Jane Lockett, so I think that they could possibly be the parents to Daniel and Sarah, and therefore not my Sarah.

Josephine

Your  idea sounds good but I don't have access so hopefully someone else might be kind enough to do that.

I'm off to bed now - far too late!
Joanna

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 15:05 BST (UK) »
Going on the free access to the 1881 census I have found a John Johnson b1817 in Cheshire married to a Mary b1831 in Shropshire who was a boatman, living in Wolstanton.

Would anyone be able to find them in the 61 and 71, please?!

Joanna