Author Topic: Captain Robert Falcon SCOTT of the Antarctic  (Read 45052 times)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Robert Falcon Scott of the Antarctic
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 June 07 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Coonwarra and Krissy

I am sooo interested in this thread , but maybe Krissy should take time to read the other one ......

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,238043.0.html

This thread is all about the ancestry of Mary Day Cuming , the grandmother of Capt. Robert F Scott. It is very interesting Krissy , and maybe some of the info will prevent you from repeating the search  ;D

Nice to see you are not giving up Coonwarra

deb :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 June 07 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb

Thanks very much for adding this link.

I shall continue to persue this investigation as there are still numerous possibilities that need to be looked at.  Hopefully everything will come out in the wash eventually!

If nothing else we are at least building up a much clearer picture of Scott's ancestry, which has to be a worthwhile exercise.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 June 07 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Krissy

I believe that they moved from Dublin after the Easter rising of 1916 and stayed for a while in Bangor (they were Protestants and could no longer stay in the south of Ireland).  I have no idea what became of them after that. 

I believe that some of the Hammonds moved to England but whether my gt gt grandparents did or not I don't know.  Unfortunately I do not know the names of the ones that went to England. 

My gt grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Hammond, married a Thomas Hannah in 1895 in Dublin and moved to Scotland sometime before the birth of their first child in 1899.

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 June 07 18:54 BST (UK) »
hi andrew,
well its poss that your connection to ireland is by marraige, ive just been goin.g thro the census records for 1861 and low and behold staying at outlands with the family of robert falcons grndfther
is a capt luke oconnor recorded as son-in-law , husband of ann scott ,robert falcons auntie!  aged 58
and the best bit ......................... he was born in dublin!!!!!!!! so its possible that it is he who is the connection and your mary elizabeth is related by marriage ::)obviously if they had children they would be related, its just a case of finding the relationship of luke to your mary elizabeth, but have faith we are getting closer ;)
krissy
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 June 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Krissy

This is very interesting.  It is the first link to Dublin that I have seen in Scott's family. 

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 June 07 22:02 BST (UK) »
hi there,
glad you liked it, i checked an earlier census and ann is a widow so must have re married and this is her second husband so i am trying to track him down on earlier records, its always tough when they were in the forces , but good news is we are getting there slowly
krissy
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 June 07 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Krissy

good job!

I found this marriage:
Luke Smyth O"Connor= Ann Mitchell Murrey
Sep 1856
Stoke Damerell

Then in 1844 there is this marriage : vol 9 pg 490
Ann Mitchell Scott ....only 3 girls names on page ...no men's
 ::) ::) ::) ::)

I looked for Ann M Murray (nee Scott) on the 1851 and cannot find her.....

is Murray an Irish name too??? .... also don't know if she had children with Mr. Murray .... poss cousins of Mary Elizabeth ???

deb

PS Krissy ...are you my Waterfield (of Tavistock) cousin ??  ;D
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 June 07 09:21 BST (UK) »
And here is another snippet of info care of Google:

General Luke Smythe O'Connor (1806 - 73) of Dublin served in both the East and West Indies and was Governor of The Gambia in 1852.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 June 07 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi :) in the marriage registrations for 1844, Stoke Damerel is

Charles Murray vol 9 page 490

MarMnkly :)
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk