Author Topic: Cost of copy certificates  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Cost of copy certificates
« on: Wednesday 08 December 04 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone clear up this conundrum for me?

Yesterday I ordered my first certificate from the GRO site. Usually I just run round the corner and order them from the registry office because I live in the town where most of my ancestors come from but GGrandad Harris was born in Droitwich so its a bit more difficult.

Anyway (soz wandered off there) I went on the site and tried to log in but was having problems so ordered it as a guest user - everything went swimmingly and they charged me £7.00 for the copy

Today I went on to order my Grandfather Bowketts (was being idle - he was born in Wolverhampton) managed to log in as a user and proceeded with the order. Filled in all the details and they wanted to charge me £11.50!

Logged out - logged in as a guest and ordered it for £7.00

Can anyone explain this or am I being thick about something

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of copy certificates
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps you inadvertently ordered an Abbreviated Certificate - that is £11.50 for some odd reason. I have only ever paid £7.00 and only order through the GRO if within the 1837 onward period.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Did you inadvertently check the "check reference" box?  If you're not sure of the GRO reference, they charge you more, I think 11.50, to check it.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanx suttontrust and hackstaple it must have been one of those things

Will have to make sure I tick everything next time. Did put the wind up me though lol

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /