Author Topic: Kent / Sussex Travellers  (Read 53264 times)

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kent / Sussex Travellers
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 28 February 16 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies

I have found out a bit more about Mary since i posted. She died in 1929 in Crowborough, Sussex and my Great Uncle Fred Roberts was the Witness.  Edward Bacon then moved to Timbercroft Lane in Plumstead and  lived with Mary and Edward's son Fred who had married Dorcas Swan.

I have also been contacted by Caroline Bacon and Mary and Edward are her Great Grandparents. Like me she does not know much about Mary but was told the same story as my family in that she came from Ireland and landed in Wales. She then took the name Roberts and travelled across Wales and England to Fairwarp in Sussex. Why she took the name Roberts and travelled across the country i do not know.

Rebekah do you have a Jessie Roberts in your line as i have a couple of newspaper articles where Edward Bacon along with Jessie were arrested together

Paul
Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 28 February 16 19:08 GMT (UK) »
No I dont have a Jessie Roberts. Interesting about Wales; my lot went from Sussex and Kent to South Wales, through Herefordshire. We're also related to the Deacons, as Samson's daughter Celia married inti the Deacons and they were flower sellers who ended up with a couple of shops.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Lamps1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 28 February 16 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Roberts my Great Grandfather son of Mary Roberts married Lizzie Deacon. Thomas was a Fish Hawker and Lizzie and her sisters were Flower Sellers in Worthing.

I also have Celia Roberts in my tree as she married Henry Deacon and i am related to these Deacons. End up with Flower Shop in Portsmouth i think.

Paul
Roberts/Deacon/Barber/Rhoades/Mayo/Beeny/Johnson/Light/Whitehorn all of Sussex/Surrey/Dorset

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 28 February 16 21:22 GMT (UK) »
That's the same Celia :) Im descended from her brother Samson.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline ladynicotine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

I realise this is a long shot, but thought it worth asking.  My grandmother had Travellers in her ancestry - the Eastwoods, who started off in Sussex & then worked there way across to Maidstone/Dartford.  In 1867 John Eastwood married an Ann Jones in Bexley.  She was born any time between 1837 & 1841 - depending on which census you believe, & she consistently gave her place of birth as Bexley.  Her father's name was George.  This is all I've been able to find out, & have been through the 1841/51 census's for Bexley & Bexley Heath without finding them.  She & John had their first child in 1861.  Is this a family you've come across?

Many thanks

Lady Nicotine
Eastwood - Kent/Sussex; Apted, Phillips- Sussex; Jermy - Norfolk; Grove - Buckinghamshire; Coles - London; Pilgrim, Harvey - Kent/Essex; Gambrell/Gambrill - Kent