Author Topic: 1891 census Richard Washington Stumbles  (Read 6197 times)

Offline DavidWWalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census Richard Washington Stumbles
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 July 07 20:41 BST (UK) »
Jon

I think that makes us fourth cousins once removed! From the early 1800s the Stumbles spread from south-west Devon to South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Australia, and the Seattle area of the USA. I have 130 of them in my database - I could extract then as a Gedcom file if that would be useful to you.

David

Offline Wheelie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 07 22:04 BST (UK) »
David,

Hello fourth cousin once removed!

A copy of the GEDCOM would be great - it sounds like you have done a lot more research than we have got round to yet! We will let you have the few bits we have found asap.

Have you found the George washington connection yet? According to family legend he was my Gran's father's father's mother's cousin!? (ie. Mary Blackmore Washington's cousin). You have her dad as James Washington but if you follow this link http://www.islandregister.com/stumbles1.html you will see the dad is listed as Robert. Any thoughts on this?

In your link you show Richard Washington Stumbles with only 2 children. He had a third - my gran - Hilda Mary Stumbles.

Jon

Offline DavidWWalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 July 07 21:56 BST (UK) »
Jon

About the father of Mary Blackmore Washington. I have his name as James Washington whereas as you (via the islandregister web site) have Robert Washington. My information came from a John Stumbles who has (or had) a web site http://www.stumbles.org.uk/ (now no longer accessible). On this web site was a page that said:

"Col. James Washington had a sugar plantation on the island of Nevis in the British West Indies...James Washington had a daughter Mary Blackmore Washington.."

The page then goes on to mention how Mary met Abraham Stumbles when he visited St Kitts, and they then married in about 1820. They returned to Plymouth, England, but in about 1832 they emigrated to Prince Edward Island, Canada, for a few years before returning to Plymouth again. There is a strong Stumbles link with PEI.

Anyway, according to John all this information was based on information he had from a Tim Stumbles (of the South African/Rhodesian branch of the family). Apparently Tim was living in Seattle in 1995, but I have never been able to track him down.

I exchanged a few emails with John Stumbles in 2004 but I haven't been able to contact him since then. So the evidence for the father of Mary Blackmore Washington being named James is based on hearsay, basically. I haven't been able to track it down to a documented source. What is the evidence for him having been named Robert?

No, I have not been able to track down the alleged link between Mary Blackmore Washington and the George Washington.

Where do you want me to send the gedcom?

David

Offline Lynn99

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 15 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm sure were related somehow. But I have some information to pass along to you that I got from a cousin in PEI, he did lots of great research so I thought I'd pass it onto you below is my email address if u wish to contact me. I think the info will help with your research.

(on my mom's side) My grandFather was Harry seymour Stumbles, my gg grandfather was William Washington Stumbles jr, ggg grandfather was William Washington Stumbles sr. and so on.

Lynn
lynnturmel@gmail.com

Offline John Birt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,  In the 1891 census Richard Stumbles his wife Amy and two children are shown as living in my house in Wallasey .Regards johnbirt@live.co.uk