Author Topic: OMOA House, Cleland  (Read 18340 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OMOA House, Cleland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 July 07 11:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks indeed for both replies.  Local information like that is really useful indeed and I'd welcome any more you might come across.

I
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline LECT1143

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 02:37 GMT (UK) »
The village that is now classed as all being Cleland was originally two and even had two railway stations the area from  the cross was Omoa and Omoa railway station sat at the bottom of Station Road the area from the cross up was Cleland as far as the War memorial it then split and became Bellside to the Newmains side and Parkside to the Biggar Road side. Cleland station was at its present location.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I found a reference to the pottery in the 1905-6 Post Office Directory, but all it says is "Cleland Pottery Co., makers of stone jars and bottles, Cleland". It only tells us what it produced, no owners names etc.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 December 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Imber et all,

I have found Ads in the Scotsman and notices in Edinburgh Gazette, for dates in 1899, for the Cleland Pottery going into liquidation, and to auction of pottery and buildings. Due to copyright laws, I am not allowed to post them here, but if you PM me, and pass me your email address, I can send you the links, for the Scotsman links you would need to be registered with the NLS.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 December 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Only just noticed your post. I have been out of the loop for some time but back now.

From what I remember OMOA became a hospital for elderly patients and it was quite a common fear for older people that they would be sent there, obviously the end of the road in their opinion. Probably because of the old connection with a Work House which was considered a major shame. Buses were laid on from the surrounding towns i.e. Motherwell, Wishaw etc for visitors, a  Wednesday was a favourite day

Although if everyone digs deep enough they will probably find some ancestor who finished up in there, I know I did. Keep digging
Stewart: Scotland & Ireland
Buchanan: Scotland
Stephen: Scotland& Canada
Diamond: Ireland & Scotland
McCallum, Scotland

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 March 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
maxcam or any others on the thread

I'm helping a family in USA with their research. Found an out of district death for their elderly relative. The death took place in 'County Hospital, Cleland'.  Hadn't come across it before, but on reading this thread, would it be safe to deduce 'County Hospital' was one and the same place as 'Cleland Hospital' (formerly Omoa workhouse)?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 March 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Before the railway 1859 map with Omoa Iron Works
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74955955
and Omoa Cottage
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74951037

1898 Omoa Station, Omoa Square & Cleland Pottery [no Poorhouse]
http://maps.nls.uk/view/82892601
1912 as above now with Poorhouse just south of station
http://maps.nls.uk/view/82892604
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 March 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Scotsmum, Yes, this would have been Cleland Hospital, previously the Combination Poorhouse. As far as I know it's still there, although it's been a couple of years since I was over that way.
It would have been called the "County" hospital as opposed to, for example, the one in Motherwell which was known as the Burgh Hospital. Anyplace that wasn't in a burgh (the burghs of Lanarkshire being Hamilton, Motherwell & Wishaw, Lanark, Airdrie & Coatbridge) was considered to be in the County, for example, Cleland, Bellshill, Shotts, Carluke, Larkhall (I think) and other small villages.

There was a "County Hospital" on the outskirts of Motherwell but that was a Fever Hospital that served the whole county of Lanark.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 March 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
Great, thanks. Was aware of the others, but Cleland thus far had escaped my radar. Glad I took the chance on the out of district (albeit in County) death record. I've sent the folks I'm helping a link to pictures of the hospital, so they can see where their relative died.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .