Author Topic: Cause of death: Atrophy  (Read 3600 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Cause of death: Atrophy
« on: Friday 10 December 04 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I received the death cert of my ggggf (Thomas T.)yesterday which confirmed most of what I knew from other sources. One thing puzzled me though: The cause of death. .

Now Thomas was only 29 when he died, and being a mine agent, I though he might have died in a mining accident. Not to be - the cause was given as Atrophy Certified.

I understood atrophy to be :
A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue, or part owing to disease, injury, or lack of use: muscular atrophy of a person affected with paralysis

and/or

A wasting or decrease in the size of an organ or tissue, as from death and reabsorption of cells, diminished cellular proliferation, pressure, ischemia, malnutrition, decreased function, or hormonal changes. Also called atrophia

Is/was this likely in a 29 year old, with 3 children and one on the way? It must also have been very sudden as the family had only moved from Yorkshire to mid Wales. Such a move and to start a new job seems unlikely with a terminal illness.

Any suggestions anyone?
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death: Atrophy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 December 04 09:38 GMT (UK) »

I understood atrophy to be :
A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue, or part owing to disease, injury, or lack of use: muscular atrophy of a person affected with paralysis

Hello again  :D

Perhaps the key word here is "Injury" he may have had an accident at work and died soon after?

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 December 04 09:58 GMT (UK) »
That is my suspicion. :-\

Does anyone know if there is a site with accidents in lead mines, similar to those of the coal mines? I've had a look on google, but couldn't find anything  :(
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 December 04 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I thought miners suffered a lot with atrophy of the lungs from all the dust they breath in

I could be they were advised to move to Wales from Yorkshire because the air was cleaner in the hope it would prolong his life especially if he moved from a coal mine to a tin mine

Have you any idea if he was working in a coal mine before he moved to Wales?

Just an idea

Willow
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 December 04 10:14 GMT (UK) »
That is my suspicion. :-\

Does anyone know if there is a site with accidents in lead mines, similar to those of the coal mines? I've had a look on google, but couldn't find anything  :(
I found this relating to Child labour and Mines:

That the diseases which are most prevalent amongst them, and to which they are more subject than children of their age and station unemployed in labor, are disordered states of the nutritive organs, curvature and distortion of the spine, deformity of the limbs, and diseases of the lungs, ending in atrophy and consumption.

http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/~jobrien/reference/ob68.html

I have a feeling his death would have been attibuted to his employment

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 December 04 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions Willow and Jen.

His father was a land agent in Staffordshire. The A2A site has several documents prepared by him, some of them are to do with mines. He was however referred to as Esq. When his son, Thomas married (the daughter of an Anglican Priest and gd of the Sheriff of Derbyshire), there was an announcement in the Times, and Thomas was later a Land Agent and Auctioneer in Yorkshire. (Listed in Slaters). The family was obvious quite well to do, as most of Thomas' siblings married landed gentry.

From the family background, I cannot imagine that he would have worked in the mines as a child, nor would he have had a great deal to do with mines in Yorkshire - he was only there about 7/8 years. Maybe in his role as land agent, but doubtful if he was an auctioneer.

Still puzzled.
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 December 04 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I could have been just the air in general in Yorkshire D ap D. With all the smoke and muck that the factories and mines were churning out anyone who was prone to lung problems would have really suffered in that type of atmosphere

Probably the only way you will really know is if you were able to get hold of his doctors note - but bet that is impossible by now

Willow
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 December 04 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Probably the only way you will really know is if you were able to get hold of his doctors note - but bet that is impossible by now

Probably - he died in 1856. However, it was a doctor - more than likely his own, who was present at the death and certified & registered it with the registrar. So it may just be possible.
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 December 04 11:38 GMT (UK) »
You could perhaps try the main training hospital in London (cant remember its name) if it was an interesting enough case the doctor may have written to them about it or to ask their advice

Considering your ancestor was 'well to do' and never worked down a mine he might have thought it relevant to forward his notes as research material into social conditions

Willow x