Author Topic: Where are Gartmillen, Ryden and Hagmoor?  (Read 7081 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More Jack Information
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 June 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
I realize there haven't been any posts to this thread in some years, but I just recently began researching the Jack family and can contribute some new information.
My interest started with William Jack/ Margaret Morton.
Margaret was the daughter of James Morton/ Margaret Lyon, born 1748, Bells Dyke New Monkland. Her sister Janet married William Main 1775, New Monkland. William was a descendant of John Main of Ballochney (my line).
James Jack, son of William Jack/ Margaret Morton, married Catherine Taylor, 1805, Shotts.
They had the following children in Shotts: William 1806 (Janet Walker 1843); John 1807 (Janet Allan 1845); James 1810 (Margaret Hill abt 1836); Thomas 1811; Marion 1814; Margaret 1816 (William Hill 1838); Catherine 1819; Jane 1821-1905 (Alexander Mackie 1840); Ann 1823; George 1826.
In the 1841 census; James Jack 60, farmer, Wester Braco Shotts; John 30; George 15; Ann 7.
There are a number of important connections for me with this family.
William Jack married Janet Walker; after William died, Janet married John Main, another in the John Main of Ballochney line.
The Hills, Margaret and William, were the children of George Hill/ Jean Jack.
George Hill was the son of Lodovick Hill/ Isobel Main (who also descended from the John Main of Ballochney line). I'm not sure who were the parents of Jean Jack.
A question for Richard: In the OPR birth record of John Jack, there is a partial notation above his entry with the name Agnes Main. Would you be able to find out whose birth record this was. Thanks. Jim Main
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: More Jack Information
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 June 15 16:06 BST (UK) »
A question for Richard: In the OPR birth record of John Jack, there is a partial notation above his entry with the name Agnes Main. Would you be able to find out whose birth record this was.
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where are Gartmillen, Ryden and Hagmoor?
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 June 15 22:29 BST (UK) »
Tenant farmers were generally pretty mobile depending on the circumstances of the tenancy, the continual search for a better farm and the frequent greed of the landlord. If you consider Robert Burns's family for example. The unrelenting drudgery broke the poets health.

Castlespails is immediately to the east of Glenboig.

A tenant is generally described as being "in" a farm, an owner (fairly unusual at that time) "of", and a farm servant, "at" a farm. These are the generations who created the present farm landscape of squared fields.  The introduction of tile drains meant that the old rig & furrow was gradually abolished, dykes built & hedges planted, back breaking work reflected in a small rent at first, which was raised as the propery improved by the tenants efforts then rack-renting often saw the fruits of his familys labours passed to another who could afford the raised rent. Smallholders who broke in moor & bog were often cleared at the end of their lease and the improved land consolidated into a single farm unit and as there was no shortage of moor & bog, the process continued.
If you consult General Roy's maps made mid 18th century, Scotland is covered in rigs with only occasional squared parks. A century later the turning of the screw saw the rigs only survive as the occasional place-name. Rigside etc'.

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
Picking up the original question

Ryden http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3627508
Gartmillan http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS7469

Have yet to find Hogmoor.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 June 15 12:48 BST (UK) »
Richard, THank you for the information on Agnes Main. Much appreciated.
I think Hogmoor is Hagmuir. On the old map, Brackenhirst is surrounded by Gartmillan to the north, Hagmuir to the west. Ryden Mains to the east, all just n orthwest of Airdrie.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 June 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Richard, THank you for the information on Agnes Main. Much appreciated.
I think Hogmoor is Hagmuir. On the old map, Brackenhirst is surrounded by Gartmillan to the north, Hagmuir to the west. Ryden Mains to the east, all just n orthwest of Airdrie.

Sorry, I meant I had not found a photo. Have now got there
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS7368
having forgotten to look for it with a double g.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline samalexander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 September 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you for all this information. I am also researching William Jack and Margaret Morton and their children.

Where did the information regarding Margaret being the daughter of James Morton & Margaret Lyon come from and is there evidence to back this?

I wonder if Ryden & Gartmillan Lane could possibly be the road which now runs between the two of these farms. There are two cottages which now sit on this steep hill, it is locally referred to as the “Wellhouse Brae” The cottages were listed as Wellhouse on the old maps and Hagmuir also happens to be at the end of this road.