Author Topic: Slamannan?  (Read 15762 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Slamannan?
« on: Saturday 07 July 07 01:33 BST (UK) »
Location? 
I think it is Slamannan but does anybody recognise the building?
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Slamannan?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 07 23:57 BST (UK) »
I was born in Avonbridge, which is just down the road from Slamannan,
I can't think of any building of that stature in the area.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 07 00:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
Since I posted this, I found out that as well as a Slamannan connection, the family had connections in Linlithgow.
I think the photo may well have been taken in, or near, the grounds of Linlithgow Palace.
I've put up a separate post to try and check that out.... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,242904.msg1324554.html#msg1324554

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the post.  Can you recommend any sites that would give me some more background to Slamannan - I've Googled it and looked at most of the sites but perhaps with your local knowledge you know of some better sites?

Dave

-------------------

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 07 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Have to say it looks very like Linlithgow Palace to me. Have a postcard with a similar view on - not with your guys in of course!

Cheers

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 07 05:02 BST (UK) »
Ha Ha Ann.  Bet you airbrushed my family out.
Any chance you could scan your postcard and post it.
When does it date from?
What do you know about the disappearing steeple?
-------------------

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 July 07 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

lol no airbsuhing was a pc from MIL last year  (she was on a Scottish coach thing) and I'm gonna have to raid blue bin now to fetch it out. Should be near top cos only put it in other day which is why view was fresh in mind.

No idea when pic was taken but she sent it last autumn.

So bear with me! The neighbours will now know I've truly lost it!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 July 07 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

She went there cos was Mary Queen of Scots birthplace and as has  a Scottish DIL - me - after 20+ years of having me around decided we Scots are Ok and safe to go! (Don;t know what she thought would happen - she did watch Braveheart tho.....)

The steeple has been gone quite a while I think. I remember reading something about it ages ago but can;t for life of me remember what or when

Ann

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 July 07 05:55 BST (UK) »
Ann,
The "Scottish coach thing" is commonly known as a coach trip.
Braveheart - worth watching, not for the realism - that does not exist in the film!
I say worth watching for the charge scene.  Watch it closely............ Willie, I mean MEL, starts running with a massive sword, cut to the baddies....cut back, Mel has an Axe.....cut............Mel has nothing in his hand (reckon he's just going to kick s**t out of the English........cut..........Oh, there it is again, he's found his sword.
Honest Ann, if you haven't seen it, rent it just to watch that scene.

Back to the point.
Can anyone tell me whether this is definitely Linlithgow Palace or not and, if it is, where did the steeple go.  Beet it was Mel that took it back to Australia.

D
-------------------

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 July 07 11:29 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is Linlithgow Palace either, I am around all this area regularly and so far nothing jumps to mind.

Are there any notes on the back of the photo such as the Photographers name which might help us?

I am assuming the name of this family is Forrest, here is a link to a good website by Tom Paterson which covers all of Stirlingshire, there is a ton of info including Census records. The layout is a bit quirky, but if you have patience there is a lot to see including photographs. Tom has not had time to add all the photos at his disposal, but invites email enquiries so drop him a line.

This is the link to the 1881 Slamannan Census for the Forrest Family, if you click on the "S" on the righthand side of the page it opens the full Census record for that address. You will see the Birth places include :-
Whitburn, Linlithgow, Slamannan, Portobello, Westburn, Cumbernauld.

http://www.tompaterson.co.uk/census/Slamannan/Slam1881_sPage187.html

Here is the link to his Contents Page.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/tom.paterson/content1.htm