Author Topic: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns  (Read 16360 times)

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 July 07 12:40 BST (UK) »
OT, Have you tried the Inter Library Loan system, for Hale and Ashley - The Past 100 Years.
HTH,
Megran.
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 July 07 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Megran!!  :)

Good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Certainly worth a try!  Thanks, Judy
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline turenne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nil Carborundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 30 July 07 20:56 BST (UK) »
Oldtimer wrote:

Most of the ancestors I have found from Halebarns were baptized,married or buried at Bowdon. But I have seen entries on the IGI for people who I think are related to them, but they are at Ringway church. I can't find any information about this church on Google. Is the church still there? Would it be feasible for people living in Hale Barns to use this church as well?

The church that you're referring to in Bowdon is probably St Mary's. I live about 20 yards away from it, so if I can be of any help, please let me know.

Richard

Offline turenne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nil Carborundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 July 07 21:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have added this:

http://www.bowdon-parish-church.org.uk/

The church is one of the largest in the area. The family vault of the Earls of Stamford is within. It is perfectly feasable that people who lived in Hale or Hale Barns should wish to be buried at St Mary's.

Richard

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard! Nice to hear from you! Welcome to Rootschat! I have only been a member for a few weeks but I love it already! But beware - it is addictive!!

Thanks so much for your message about Bowdon. You are very lucky to live near the church. I visited it several years ago now, and thought what a lovely place it was. And a fabulous graveyard too!! Do you have "roots" there?

My family, the Moores, actually lived in Hale Barns, as you have probably gathered through reading this link! Although I have never seen the original registers, I bought transcriptions on fiche from the Cheshire FHS, and have used that to find my Moores. I was also able to buy a couple of their wills, which told me that my great great great grandfather was an Innkeeper, but didn't mention which inn. It was only when I joined Rootsweb that I found out it was the Unicorn.

There were later generations of Moores living in Hale according to the censuses, but I couldn't find them being baptized in Bowdon. That is when I used the IGI and found people who could be them baptized at Ringway. Which I way I asked the question - is Ringway in Hale Barns? When I was told yes, it really helped me to broaden my tree. If I hadn't joined Rootsweb, I would have still been at square one! The people who use this site are so friendly and helpful, as I am sure you will find out!

When I visited Bowdon I was unable to go into the church, as it was closed! If ever you have chance to go in and take a photo, I would be most grateful!!!

Thanks again! Best wishes, Judy 

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy/Oldtimer - I hope Richard/Turenne can help - in the meantime there's a couple of good exterior shots on the church's own website at
http://www.bowdon-parish-church.org.uk/
and on Cheshire Churches
http://www.moston.org/churches.html
The only time I've been in the church myself was for a wedding - my memory is of the chill (winter-time) rather than the appearance of the place!

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
nkRe: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mshrmh (quite difficult to pronounce, I  think!!) :D

Thanks for the links. It is certainly a beautiful church. Now that I have got so much more info on my Moores, I really hope to visit it next year, and see more of Hale Barns too.

Sorry to hear of your chilly experience! Hope it wasn't your own wedding  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline turenne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nil Carborundum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Judy,

No, I haven't got 'roots' here. My father was Polish, (he came here and joined the RAF during the war) and my mother's family Chatterly/Trevis are/were based in Worcestershire and Co Durham. I, however have lived in Cheshire for most of my life.

Yes, the chaps/chapesses on Rootschat seem a pleasant bunch, I'm learning a lot, simply by reading others' messages.

When I discover how to post a photo onto the message board I'll take a picture of the interior of St Mary's. ???

Richard

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard!!
posting a photo - easy-peasy!! see

RootsChat Topics: Scanning and Posting Images

You have an interesting family history. Is it difficult to research Polish families? Or are you just concentrating on the English ones at the moment?

Good luck in all your searches
Judy  :D :D