Author Topic: Sir William Beechey - Norwich 1782-1787  (Read 6177 times)

Offline Graeme Smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Currently living in Latvia
    • View Profile
Sir William Beechey - Norwich 1782-1787
« on: Sunday 12 December 04 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I am related to Sir William Beechey the famous portrait artist of the 18th/19th centuries.

I have recently discovered that he moved to Norwich in 1782 and lived there until 1787.  According to my information he may well have had some children while he was there and wondered whether would know where to begin to find out!

Thanks

Graeme
Smith, Falgate, Kirby, Whomes, Grimble, Crisp in Norfolk
Hoyes in Lincolnshire
Beechey in Oxfordshire
Barber, Baker, Innes, Miller, Sheerman in London/Middlesex
Estill in North Yorkshire
Fellows in Staffordshire
Wood/Woodstock, Wardhaugh in Co Durham

Offline kapajoy51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sir William Beechey - Norwich 1782-1787
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 December 04 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I found this on the web and thought it may interest you.

Biography of Sir William Beechey (1753–1839)
English portrait and landscape painter. He trained to be a lawyer but turned to art and entered the Royal Academy schools in London in 1774. His early works were rather dull and consisted mostly of conversation pieces influenced by his probable teacher, Johan Zoffany, and portraits in the style of Sir Joshua Reynolds. After a five-year stay in Norwich, 1782–87, Beechey returned to London to enjoy a long and successful career marked by royal appointments. In 1793 he became Portrait Painter to Queen Charlotte. The imposing, approximately 4 x 5 metre ‘Review of a Horse Guard with King George III and the Prince of Wales’ (Royal Collections) earned him a knighthood in 1798, the year in which he was also elected a Royal Academician. He exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy from 1776 and at the British Institution from its foundation in 1805. He was praised for developing a technique which contributed to the durability of his paintings but artistically they remained uninspiring. The quality of his art improved by 1800 when his handling became more spontaneous, composition more innovative and palette lighter. He occasionally painted landscapes and mythological subjects. He was appointed portrait painter to William Frederick, 2nd Duke of Gloucester, around 1813 and Principal Painter to William IV after 1830. Beechey is reputed to have helped young artists such as John Constable. His naval-officer sons, Admiral Richard Brydges Beechey (1808–95), and Frederick William Beechey (1796–1856) were both good artists, the former exhibiting marine works. His brother, George Beechey, was also a portrait painter.

Cairns, Gale, Hawes, Holyoake, Joynes, Major, Moss, Portlock, Turner, Wilkins, Young

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 December 04 12:17 GMT (UK) »
You will find this interesting. It is about one of his 18 [!]children ::)
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuInDepth/Biography.cfm?biog=184
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 04 12:21 GMT (UK) »
This web site will show you pictures by William and his two artist sons from the Maritime Collection at Greenwich:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplore/BrowseByArtist.cfm?action=artist&lettera=b
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Graeme Smith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Currently living in Latvia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 December 04 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information, although I already have seen that during my trawling of the internet.

My real problem is that there seems to be very little mention anywhere of his time in Norwich,other than as a passing comment, during which time he may have married his 1st wife and had some children.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject through parish registers, or local history knowledge.

Graeme
Smith, Falgate, Kirby, Whomes, Grimble, Crisp in Norfolk
Hoyes in Lincolnshire
Beechey in Oxfordshire
Barber, Baker, Innes, Miller, Sheerman in London/Middlesex
Estill in North Yorkshire
Fellows in Staffordshire
Wood/Woodstock, Wardhaugh in Co Durham

Offline Kimberley

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 March 08 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I am related to Sir William Beechey the famous portrait artist of the 18th/19th centuries.

I have recently discovered that he moved to Norwich in 1782 and lived there until 1787.  According to my information he may well have had some children while he was there and wondered whether would know where to begin to find out!

Thanks

Graeme

Note your interest in BEECHEY family and wonder if you may have come across an Alice Maud BEECHEY.

She appears in 1891 census aged 26 at 71 Crescent Lane,Clapham,London (I suspect she was the same Alice Maud Beechey in FreeBMD that married Frederick Roberts -3rd qtr 1887 St Olave,London 1d 459) Her place of birth is recorded in 1891 as Knightsbridge.

In 1901 Alice Maud Roberts aged 36 (same address) is recorded born Brompton,London.

The chap I am tracing Frederick William ROBERTS was born 11 December 1861,Peploe Street,Hoole,Cheshire..son of Joseph & Ann Joule ROBERTS nee Davenport.

I may be barking up the wrong tree !!

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 March 08 20:00 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth contacting the Norwich Museum and Art gallery, they might be able to help http://www.museums.norfolk.gov.uk/default.asp?Document=200.21&gst=

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Iona Main Stewart

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 January 17 06:34 GMT (UK) »
I have Sir William Beechey in my own family tree since my father's first cousin George Duncan Beechey was a direct descendant of him and the Princess of Oudah (an Indian princess). His ancestor also called George Duncan Beechey was married to the Princess and this George Duncan Beechey was the son of Sir William Beechey. There are plenty descendants of the Beecheys.

Iona Main Stewart

Offline aliceart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 October 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I realise this is a very old conversation but wondered Graeme if you had got any further your research into William Beechey in Norwich... I have a painting by him that I am just about to start researching which I believe in painted when he was in Norwich? be great to hear from you if you still notice these notifications! Best Alice